Turkey in a bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yorkie

Assistant Cook
I am looking for Emerils recipe which calls for cooking a turkey for a short time on high, then letting it rest, then cooking it in a paper bag. it makes the best turkey ever , but I am not sure of the times involved :chef:

Here's a link for the recipe from the Food Network: foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_9870,00.html

I can't post the exact link because I don't have 20 posts yet.

they sure do! hmmm, i've never left a turkey in the bag on someone's doorstep. :angel:

it wouldn't have the same effect, but thanks for the tip, jenny.

boy, you new englanders have some strange practical jokes...

So can a rag drenched in wine, but Martha Stewart promotes placing one over your turkey.

I can just picture it. You put the turkey, draped with the wine soaked cheesecloth, into a preheated 350F oven. The 350F oven heats up the wine, turning the alcohol in the wine into a vapor. Then the temperature in the oven drops, so the pilot light kicks on the oven burner...

kaboom.gif

That sounds like slow resting. A technique used when making pork butt for pulled pork and briskets. With these you would wrap it in paper and put it in a cooler or insulated box for an hour or more. It is still hot when removed but succulent and perfect. Never thought to use it with a bird but seems like it would be excellent.

Martha's turkey

We have used Martha's turkey recipe for about five years. You drape cheesecloth dipped in butter and wine over the turkey and baste it every 20 minutes. We were really scared when we took it out because the cheesecloth was black, but the turkey was golden underneath, and the skin was delicate and delicious. The entire turkey was more tender and juicy than any I had tasted up to then. The gravy is something special, as well.

About Emeril's paper bag? That I have not heard of, but if it is soaked in wine and butter, it too may be special. My mother-in-law used to cover her turkey with brown paper, as I remember.

Jamie Oliver cooks chicken in a paper bag. Have a look for his recipes otherwise.

My mum always used to put the used butter papers over her chook while it roasted.

We have used Martha's turkey recipe for about five years. You drape cheesecloth dipped in butter and wine over the turkey and baste it every 20 minutes. We were really scared when we took it out because the cheesecloth was black, but the turkey was golden underneath, and the skin was delicate and delicious. The entire turkey was more tender and juicy than any I had tasted up to then. The gravy is something special, as well.

About Emeril's paper bag? That I have not heard of, but if it is soaked in wine and butter, it too may be special. My mother-in-law used to cover her turkey with brown paper, as I remember.
:)I have made a turkey with a butter soaked tea towel did not notice a great difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom