Turkey: Light Meat or Dark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love the dark meat, especially when it is first cooked, and later in gravy. I like the white meat the next day, cold, with a bit of salt, or in a sandwich. I have had dry, tasteless turkey breast on occasion, but I cannot recall ever having that happen at home. I know a couple people who are so worried about under cooking poultry (and pork) that they tend to cook it way too long. :cool:

I think that motivates a lot of people to overcook turkey, worry that they might under cook it and cause food poisoning. I totally trust my meat thermometer and commonly accepted temperature guidelines, and also take into account that the temperature will continue to rise after the turkey is out of the oven and resting.

It's not that I need a meat thermometer... It's just that it works so perfectly for me every time.

There's a Chinese restaurant I go to that has a notice they will prepare chicken dishes with white meat only for a $1 extra charge. I've been tempted to ask them if they'd give me a discount for dark meat only. :)

Now that you brought Chinese restaurant, that is a whole different story, there I only order dishes made out of white meat. Dark meat doesn't really work well in Chinese dishes at all.

This thread is interesting. Many (not all) of you cite the dryness of white meat as the reason you prefer dark. It's not that hard to have juicy breast meat along with properly cooked dark meat.

I guess a better question would be: if properly cooked and juicy white and dark meats were offered, would you still pick dark meat?

This thread is interesting. Many (not all) of you cite the dryness of white meat as the reason you prefer dark. It's not that hard to have juicy breast meat along with properly cooked dark meat.

I guess a better question would be: if properly cooked and juicy white and dark meats were offered, would you still pick dark meat?

Yes, I would still pick dark meat!

Dark. Bring it! Nobody will convince me that white could ever taste as good as dark because of one simple fact: fat content. Fat tastes good. We've been evolved for 100's of thousands of years or millions of years to like the taste of fat. There will never be any way to make white, lean meat taste as good as dark meat, because of the desirable taste of fat. It is genetically programmed into us.

I am a foodie, I like to cook, I am in tune with what is really good and I prefer Turkey Breast meat.:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
The poll speaks for itself. In real life I observe most people want white meat, yet the poll shows that more than 50% forum members prefer dark meat. I can think of no other explanation. I'll entertain other explanations.

Please note there is no right or wrong answer to the poll. It only indicates preferences, and like the Internet abbreviation: YMMV (your mileage may vary)

I will eat both white meat and dark, but I too prefer dark. That is why I serve duck for Christmas. This year was no different. I made two ducks, and they turned out fantastic! Gotta live an all dark meat bird!

I will eat both white meat and dark, but I too prefer dark. That is why I serve duck for Christmas. This year was no different. I made two ducks, and they turned out fantastic! Gotta live an all dark meat bird!

That's why I like duck too. Nothing like quackers for dinner! :)

You do have to cook them pretty hard though...

i prefer white meat. Dark meat goes into soup, and I don't tell me it's dark meat. That way I don't know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom