"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Light 3 12.50%
Dark 14 58.33%
Both 6 25.00%
Neither (explain in post) 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Turkey: Light Meat or Dark?

Most people seem to prefer their turkey meat light. I prefer the dark meat and from what I've seen I'm the exception. To me light meat seems dry and flavorless, dark meat tastes moist, juicy and has more flavor.

Which do you prefer? And why?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dark meat, always. Moist and flavorful! Shrek likes the light meat, we have the whole bird covered.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dark meat, always. Moist and flavorful! Shrek likes the light meat, we have the whole bird covered.
Same here, for all birds, so we don't have duck or goose at my house (phooey). I don't really care for turkey, so we don't cook that here either, but sometimes have it at his mum's house. DH likes turkey a little bit, so once or twice a year is enough for him. Yup, Canadian and the mummy-in-law usually makes turkey for Xmas.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Dark meat here too. I think it has more flavor and is never the slightest bit dry.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Executive Chef

dark next to stuffing with gravy. light in a sandwich with mayo lettuce and tomato
Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

The dark meat answers above are kind of surprising to me. I also prefer dark meat with turkey and chicken. I'll eat a sandwich out of breast because I use enough mayo to make it edible, otherwise I think breast is mostly dry and tasteless.
I think we probably should keep this information under wraps until turkeys start growing thighs as big as hooters.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The dark meat answers above are kind of surprising to me. I also prefer dark meat with turkey and chicken. I'll eat a sandwich out of breast because I use enough mayo to make it edible, otherwise I think breast is mostly dry and tasteless.
Here's a few more questions to think about: Chicken breasts: bone-in or boneless? Steaks: bone-in or boneless? How do you want that steak cooked? I suspect that many of us on the forum recognize that meat cooked on the bone is more tasty, more tender. I bet those of us on the forum are more likely to order our steaks medium-rare than medium-well or (horrors, horrors!) well done.

I agree that turkey breast is okay on sandwiches as long as there's lots of mayonnaise, but it's not at all unusual for me to load up with nothing but dark meat when roasted turkey is served, preferably thigh meat. It's the juiciest, most tender and flavorful part of the turkey.

I don't even understand why most people go for the white meat, but it's a fact. And I'm not going to try to convince anybody to switch to the dark meat. There's more left for me!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think we probably should keep this information under wraps until turkeys start growing thighs as big as hooters.
I nearly lost my breath laughing. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

There's a Chinese restaurant I go to that has a notice they will prepare chicken dishes with white meat only for a $1 extra charge. I've been tempted to ask them if they'd give me a discount for dark meat only.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't care for the stronger taste of dark meat, nor the fat, veins and tendons that you have to eat around. If your breast meat is dry and tasteless, then it isn't cooked right.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meat, turkey