Turkey Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virgo152

Senior Cook
I made turkey meatballs and cooked them in the oven but they had so much fat on them. I think I'm going to put them in the pot next time.

Any suggestions

I use ground turkey all the time to make meatloaf and kababs (the kind made of ground turkey) and the Purdue packet says 7Grams of fat and I have never had issues with grease when I bake them.

I normally mix it with ginger, garlic, spices, herbs, egg, fresh bread crumbles and onions. I skewer them and bake them in the oven and cook them for atleast 45 minutes. They release a lot of liquid (it's liquid from the meat and onions) but that's just juices and not grease.

I believe 25 minutes for small meatballs may be sufficient but it may be juices and not grease what you are seeing being released.

virgo, another time, try browning the meatballs in a skillet then add them to the sauce to finish cooking. That way, both the meatballs and the sauce taste better.

virgo, another time, try browning the meatballs in a skillet then add them to the sauce to finish cooking. That way, both the meatballs and the sauce taste better.

I agree. Also, agree that you'll see very little grease with turkey meatballs.

I'm thinking you were right when you said that perhaps your meatballs might have been too large for the baking time.

I make turkey meatballs all the time & always line them up & bake them on a shallow-rimmed baking sheet @ 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. They always come out fine & there is little to no grease. Some juices, yes; grease, no.

However, the meatballs I form are just slightly smaller than a golf ball. If you make yours larger, just bake them longer - maybe 40-45 minutes. No need to skillet-cook them first.

Actually, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 95% lean ground beef is lower in saturated fat (5 grams per 3 ounce serving) than ground turkey (11 grams per 3 ounce serving). Now, if you buy ground turkey breast, which is all white meat and much more expensive, that would be less than 1 gram of saturated fat per 3 ounce serving.

Whatever. I was just trying to give the OP a possible reason for her question - not to change her eating habits or ingredients.

I rarely use ground turkey breast because I find it too lean for most recipes. Regular ground turkey works just fine. I also regularly use ground turkey because my husband doesn't eat red meat or red meat products, & hasn't for 40 years now.

Not to mention you rarely hear about people dying from eating ground turkey - unlike ground beef.

Whatever. I was just trying to give the OP a possible reason for her question - not to change her eating habits or ingredients.
I wasn't trying to change anyone's eating habits. As a nutritionist, I only do that if they pay me to do it. What I was trying to do is dispell the idea that ground turkey is leaner than ground beef and therefore should not produce fat when cooked. Obviously, at 11 grams per 3 ounce serving, cooking turkey meatballs will definitley produce a visible amount of fat.

Not to mention you rarely hear about people dying from eating ground turkey - unlike ground beef.

I knew a guy that was killed in a turkey farm stampede once. Does that count?

LOL - no, turkey stampedes don't count - LOL!

Since I'm not a nutritionist, I bow to your knowledge, but will say that I've been using ground turkey in virtually any & every recipe calling for ground meat (beef, pork, lamb) for many years now & have never seen any appreciable amount of fat drain out of it. In fact, I frequently add fat to it in the form of extra-virgin olive oil, or dotting burgers with butter, to keep it from drying out.

Virgo, I made RR's Super-Size Turkey Meatballs & they turned out great. See if this is a recipe you might want to try:

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese

Oh, amy, I haven't compared them word for word, but I think the one you posted is the same or similar to this RR recipe Florentine Meatballs Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
which I LOVE and have made a bunch of times!

I'm telling you, this recipe makes you look BRILLIANT to whomever you are serving it! :)

Lee

Oh, amy, I haven't compared them word for word, but I think the one you posted is the same or similar to this RR recipe Florentine Meatballs Recipe: Recipes: Food Network
which I LOVE and have made a bunch of times!

I'm telling you, this recipe makes you look BRILLIANT to whomever you are serving it! :)

Lee

YAY! I was hoping you would see this post, Lee. I remember you liked them as much as I did. Are they the same? I shared the first one, cause I saved the yummy pic that went with. ;)

Actually, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 95% lean ground beef is lower in saturated fat (5 grams per 3 ounce serving) than ground turkey (11 grams per 3 ounce serving). Now, if you buy ground turkey breast, which is all white meat and much more expensive, that would be less than 1 gram of saturated fat per 3 ounce serving.

I read that the ground poultry products have fatty skin ground into it so it is not just a ground poultry breast. Wouldn't ground turkey more likely be the dark meat since they market turkey breast?

Back
Top Bottom