Turkey Pot Pie Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
Need a T&T recipe for turkey pot pie.....lots of leftover turkey, should make a treat big enough for at least 4 people.....Help please....thanks in advance:chef:

1 med onion diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
two med potatos, diced
left over turkey, diced.
Seasoning of your choice
Fresh parsley, chopped
4 cups of chicken, or turkey stock.

I basically start like I was making soup. Just add enough liquid to cover the ingredients otherwise you will end up with way too much gravy. Wait and put the potatoes in a bit later 'cus they will turn to mush before the carrots and celery are done. After you have a hearty soup, I add my seasonings, which is usually poultry or sage and savory, make a slurry out of flour and water and thicken it up to make a stew. Let this chill overnight and make a pie out of it the next day, just like you would make any other pie. That's all I do. There are other recipes, but this is simple and works great all of the time. Here is a small one I made yesterday. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Here is what we use for ourselves. Just sub turkey for the chicken.

Chicken Dinner Pie

1 Ea Pie Crust
1 Tb Oil
4 Tb Butter
2 C Mushrooms, sliced
2-3 Ea Shallots, sliced
4 Tb Flour
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
1 tsp Thyme
1-1½ C Chicken Broth
C Light Cream
4 C Cooked, Cubed Chicken
10 Oz Frozen Peas & Carrots
8 Oz Frozen Pearl Onions

Preheat the oven to 425º F.

Roll out the pie crust dough and cut tops for 4-6 ramekins. Reserve on a cookie sheet in the refrigerator.

Sauté the mushrooms and shallots in oil and butter.

Blend in the flour, salt, pepper and thyme.

Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.

Stir in the chicken broth and cream. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the chicken and vegetables and simmer until warmed through.

Fill 16 ounce ramekins or soup crocks with the cooked mixture.

Top with the pie crust rounds.

Brush the crusts with an egg wash.

Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and into the heated oven.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

I think biscuits on top of a chicken or turkey pot pie is good too. Plus, you can bake extra biscuits to serve hot with jam or honey.

I like potatoes, peas, celery, onion, carrots, as my basic veggies and one more green one, like beans or asparagus or smaller chopped broccoli and chicken(turkey). I make pot pies when I have leftovers, especially gravy. Otherwise I make a chicken stock (veloute ) sauce.

Last edited:
You can also use a flour tortilla for the topping. I personally like a top and bottom crust, but most recipes call for just a top.

Last edited:
I like a top and bottom crust too but when I make it that way the crust always absorbs all of the liquid and I end up with a nasty dry pie.

I like a top and bottom crust too but when I make it that way the crust always absorbs all of the liquid and I end up with a nasty dry pie.
I have had that problem too. I started to make more gravy by adding more liquid to my filling before thickening. I suppose the bottom crust can only absorb so much, then you will still have some left in the pie when you eat it.

How about subbing beef for the poultry? I have a lot of that left over.

The recipe I posted uses a white sauce for the 'gravy'. you could sub beef for the chicken and use beef broth with the roux to make a beef gravy. It'd be delicious.

Back
Top Bottom