"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-20-2004, 02:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Turkey Question...

Im attempting to make my first turkey this week. I was going to put an apple inside for aromatics. What is the best apple for this purpose???

Also, any suggestions on not screwing up??? Making newbie mistakes.

Thanks,

Ray Frady
Rittman, Ohio

Old 12-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

Ray, I'd just take some time to scroll down this section and read what you find interesting--there are a lot of recipies and trials and errors with turkey that should help you out.

I have a recipe for a whole chicken that calls for placing a cored and quartered Granny Smith apple in the cavity, along with some onion, a quartered lemon, some celery and rosemary. Those impart a very nice flavor that I'm sure would work well with turkey, too.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Master Chef

I agree with PA. Scroll down and read about brining, cooking times and techniques, etc.

I usually stuff the cavity with chopped apples, onions, celery, carrots, garlic and fresh herbs. It makes little difference what type of apple you use -- you aren't going to eat it and it will only give a hint of "apple essence" to the bird anyway.

This past T-giving I added some chopped stale bread soaked in white wine to the mixture. That worked very well!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have to agree ... the reason the recipe says "an apple" and not a specific apple is because it doesn't matter. While the differences between apples might be important in other cookery (pies, apple sauce, etc.) as an aromatic in cooking a bird - it really doesn't matter.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your help. Now cross your fingers.

Ray

Tags
None