"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Wine Guy
Sounds like you have things under control now. All I was going to add (which you found out yourself) is that once the carcass has been cooking for a while, the cartilage and connective tissues tend to break down, at which time you should be able to break it into pieces.

I simmer stock for a long time, anywhere from 6 to 8 hours. In fact, "simmer" might be too strong of an adjective. Just faint, occasional bubbling is better. The last 2-3 hours I like to take the lid off to get some evaporation and concentration of flavors.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I strain stock in a colander and then I strain it again with a clean tea towel over the colander. I boil the tea towel before and after. I find that too much particulate matter gets through cheese cloth. I concentrate the strained stock.

I find the most convenient way to store stock is to put it in my silicone muffin form and freeze it. I also freeze some in an ice cube tray, so I have different sizes of frozen stock chunks. I keep the chunks in large, plastic Hellman's mayo jars in the freezer. I imagine zip lock bags would work well too.

I don't think you ever get a really clear stock from cooked bones. I think you have to use raw bones to get a really clear stock.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I don't think you ever get a really clear stock from cooked bones. I think you have to use raw bones to get a really clear stock.
You're right, but you can clarify stock to make a clear consummé using egg whites and ground beef.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote