"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
View Poll Results: Which turkey recipe would be better
asian style turkey with fried rice 4 11.76%
traditional turkey with bread crumb stuffing 30 88.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
Executive Chef

kitchen: brown and fully cook a good quality ground sage sausage, chop celery onions and carrots (a mirepoix) about 1 1/2 cups total and saute in the sausage drippings. add about 1 cup leftover cooked wild rice (or wild rice mix like uncle bens) chop a good handful of pecans. Season with pepper, thyme, and moisten with broth. Loosely fill turkey cavities (extra goes in a caserole and will need a bit more broth ) and roast immediately.

it is yummy and safe as the sausage is fully cooked and all elements are sauted.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
Master Chef

The single most important thing to do with your turkey is to cook it to the proper internal temperature. I've tried using the extrememly hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes, and then turning down to 350 degrees and roasting with foil arount the breast. I've tried just puting the bird into a 300 degree oven and roasting until done. I've also roasted many a turkey on my Webber Kettle. In every case, I roasted until a meat thermometer, left in the bird the whole time, read 155 degrees. I then removed the bird and let rest for twenty minutes. In every case, the meat was supremely moist and tender.

Cooking hot, then cooling down the oven results in a crispier skin, while the slower cooking temperature requires the bird to be finished under the broiler to brown the skin properly. On the covered grill, do to the nature of the heat source (charcoal and hardwood), the fire is initially very hot, maybe 500 degrees or more. Then when the lid is placed on the grill, and the vents partially closed, the temperature cools to around 350. The grill gives me the best flavor, hands down. But the oven gives great flavor as well.

Also through experimentation, I've found that basting does absolutely nothing to enhance the moisture content of the meat. It only slows the cooking time, and deposites flavor particles on the outer skin.

I also cook my dressing outside the bird, but not because I'm afraid of microbial contamination, but rather, by the time the stuffing comes up to temp, the meat is usually overcooked and dried out.

Cooking until the little plastic pop-up timer goes off will gauruntee that your bird will be dry and tough, as it doesn't pop up until the glue melts at 180 degrees.

So to sum up, cook whichever dressing you prefer outside the bird. Cook to an internal temp of 155, then let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Final temperature should read 165 at that time.

If you want crispy skin, start at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and cook until you reach the proper internal temperature. Basting is unnecessary. Cover the breast with foil to prevent overcooking the white meat as it cooks faster than does the dark meat. Remove the foil when the termometer reads 140 degrees to allow the skin to brown completely.

Your family will rave and you can take the bows.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410

it is yummy and safe as the sausage is fully cooked and all elements are sauted.

Robo,

Even cooked ingredients are unsafe to eat if stuffed in a turkey and not cooked to 165 degrees. That's because they get drenched with raw turkey juices.

You know that drill about raw poultry cross contamination in the kitchen. Well, it's the same with cross contaminating stuffing within a turkey.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I'm not a big fan of stuffing but my husband likes it. I make it with green chile and toasted pine nuts.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #15
Master Chef

While I go with the traditional turkey and stuffing - this idea of an Asian stuffing does open up some ideas for experimenting. An Asian turducken with hoisin sauce on the duck, oyster sauce on the chicken, soy, pineapple and butter on the turkey ... stuffed with shrimp or crab fried rice? Humm .... have to think about this .....
Old 08-31-2005, 06:57 AM   #16
Executive Chef

As far as Thanksgiving goes, I'm a traditionalist; I want 'gramma's old fashioned stuffing', gravy, and all the fixin's.

However - some sort of Asian treatment would be fun to do when serving turkey on other occasions!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #17
Head Chef

Turkeys went on sale here for 79 cents a pound so will pick up a couple. I know in Nov. they will be higher as the gas prices are going to up there. Everything is going up because of the gas. Love to make dressing and stuff the bird. I usually make giblet bread stuffing.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Wow, I practically copied and pasted half this thread into files into my pc for future references. Thanks everyone!

About asian food. Here's an idea you might want to try.

Take a pineapple and cut into 2 lengthwise. Cut out the flesh and cut into cubes, some for dessert or to mix into a cocktail drink.

Cook fried with olive oil, wine chinese sausages, cooked rice, onions, prawns and chicken (marinated in soya sauce and oyster sauce) cubes of pineapple.

Now serve that fried rice in the pineapple.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:11 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thanks Robo410. Wanted to give you karma as a thank you but I haven't any left.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Robo,

Even cooked ingredients are unsafe to eat if stuffed in a turkey and not cooked to 165 degrees. That's because they get drenched with raw turkey juices.

You know that drill about raw poultry cross contamination in the kitchen. Well, it's the same with cross contaminating stuffing within a turkey.
Absolutely true! That's why I always wrap my stuffing in a boilin' bag before putting it in the turkey for roasting. (just joking ) It is always very important to test the internal temp for doneness. I have found that this stuffing packs less densely than a traditional bread stuffing and has always come up to temperature without overcooking the bird. I also take care not to cram it in, but to spoon it in and when full I don't pack it down, I just truss it up lightly.
I also start with a nearly room temperature bird, (I brine mine.)

All food, even ice cubes, needs safe handling procedures.

Tags
None