"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yep, Pytn, I've seen the commercial. In the end the turkey looks as big as the 33-pounder I cooked about 15 years ago.

As for how we cook our turkey, I have been brining them in recent years. Nothing fancy, just salt and water.

However, I make a mixture of melted butter and white wine and submerge a lot of cheesecloth in it and then drape it over the top of the turkey. While the turkey bakes, breast up, I baste with the remaining butter/white wine mixture.

Our turkey is always Norman Rockwell bronze and moist. Been doing this for years and years so it's one of those "if it ain't broke; don't break it" situations.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace View Post
... (has anyone seen that commercial this year where this girl is fumbling with a turkey in her kitchen sink and it keeps slipping out of her hands, onto the floor, etc. etc. eventually flings out through the window and knocks out the guy standing outside?).
This one?

Yes.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Hiya
In the summer, I brine and then smoke the turkeys. Nothing stopping me from doing that for Thanksgiving except I am loathe to touch the coal while I'll all dressed (up). Besides that, I love the aroma the house takes on when there is a turkey roasting in the oven.

I brine the turkey, and bake it, stuffed and covered at 325, basting occasionally. The final half hour, I uncover it, turn the heat up to 400.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday, Goodweed.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
Master Chef

Until recently I never realized there was so much mystique & drama out there concerning how best to roast a turkey. What a hoot!

We order an organic free-range turkey from Whole Foods every year & I just put that luscious baby on a strong V-Rack in a large roasting pan, rub it with a melted butter/extra-virgin olive oil/herb mixture, & roast until just done (around 165 on a meat thermometer), since it will continue cooking when removed to "rest" for about 20-30 minutes. I usually start with a preheated 450-degree oven for just the first 15 minutes, then turn it down to 350 for the rest of the cooking time which, of course, depends on the size of the bird. Forty-five minutes before it "should" be done, I start checking with the meat thermometer.

No brining, no gymnastics, no fuss, no muss. Once the bird is in, I can just relax. We have yet to be disappointed in any way, shape, or form. Both white & dark meat come out moist, juicy, & delicious; skin is bronze & crisp. And the best part? The leftover meat stays just as moist, juicy, & delicious as when the bird first came out of the oven. It's FABULOUS.

While I'm all for trying new things, our turkeys come out so good every year, I really can't see any reason to try anything else.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Senior Cook

I have discovered that no matter how I cook it, its best if I let it rest breast side down, it is the juiciest. lol..I had never heard to do this from any place but I thought I would try it one year and it worked...gotta love gravity.

If you like the skin.one of the best ways to eat it is to put some skin between some paper towels and put it in the microwave and nuke it.(few secs at a time) Its very crispy and melts all the fat away..skin from a cooked turkey
Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #26
Sous Chef

This one?

YouTube - Big Turkey Thanksgiving
Yes.

Yup, that's it!!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #27
Master Chef

The acrobatics and drama of turkey is the reason I started this post. Breezy, what you said is what I'm saying, just with a bit of explanation (Ok, a whole lot of explanation) thrown in to strengthen my position. Turkey is really easy, with no fuss, and no gymnastics required.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Brined is always good, as a combo effort 2 of us spent about 40 bucks on an Emeril brine w/ dark beer once. Waste of good beer! The plain ol salt water was just as good!!

Deep fried never draws a complaint either.....

I wonder if you could deep fry a brined turkey? Too much splattering I would think.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Placing herbs and aromatics under the skin will add flavor to the turkey flesh, as will inserting lardoons.

And if you want to play a bit, there are a host of glazes that go great on turkey skin. Honey comes to mind, as does maple syrup. But if so inclined to use a glaze, remember that sugars burn quickly and so temperature control must be carefully maintained thoughout the cooking process.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Great tips. I've never had luck with separating the skin from the fresh during craving. When you crave the skin doesn't stay on. I prefer to inject flavors as the skin and flesh stay connected.

Blow torch on 2:1 ratio of Cinnamon and sugar for the best possible glaze. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
First throw away those pop up timers they are notorious for being off. Then road how ever testing with a instant read thermometer to 151 in the thigh and Brest let it set for a good 30 minutes then enjoy
Use your own thermo but leave the popup one intact, if you remove it liquid will gush out during the cooking process... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace View Post
I've tried everything. Injecting, butter under the skin, brining, basting, tenting etc. etc. Cooking upside down was the most comical (has anyone seen that commercial this year where this girl is fumbling with a turkey in her kitchen sink and it keeps slipping out of her hands, onto the floor, etc. etc. eventually flings out through the window and knocks out the guy standing outside?). Brining works the best for me, actually it's quite delicious. No matter what I do, my picky hubby thinks the only thing good about a turkey is the skin.
Cooking upside down will result in juicy breast meat, but a soggy skin. Also can have an ugly bird with the V-Rack indentation if you're using one. It's all about what's important to you. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Deep fried never draws a complaint either.....

I wonder if you could deep fry a brined turkey? Too much splattering I would think.
You can. :)

Also wanted to add one more tip about injecting. Do not use butter and other ingredients together in your injections assuming you inject the day before. Use brooth and spices then butter separately. Otherwise the butter will turn solid and suspend the spices which prevents it from flavoring the meat. :)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #30
Master Chef

LOL! What a travesty.

Does anyone besides me remember when Thanksgiving wasn't such a darn frou-frou affair? You had the turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes (& sometimes white as well), several green veggies, canned cranberry sauce, & a few different pies for dessert.

No one complained if the white meat of the turkey was dry (although it more often than not wasn't), there was no "Emeril 'BAM'" in any of the sides, & no one was trying to outdo anyone else with a "gourmet" side dish. Lord, I miss that when I talk to or visit friends. Thanksgiving seems to have evolved into some sort of competition.

Luckily, I do recreate the old days somewhat. We have our organic free-range turkey (my only nod to somewhat "new" food - lol), but I usually make basic Pepperidge Farm stuffing, creamed garlic spinach, plain baked & buttered sweet & white potatoes, good old green bean casserole, & yes, PERISH THE THOUGHT, Pillsbury Crescent Rolls!!!! Send me to hades right now - lol!!

It all turns out good, homey, & without all the frou-frou that I feel so often sucks the life out of holidays these days.

Tags
None