"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Master Chef

Turkey Survey

I can't remember how to create a survey, so I'm just going to ask the question here. Someone could put it into survey form if they want. But here it is.

What is the technique for pefeclty juicy and succulent turkey? I have seen many people on this site try to give the "perfect turkey recipe". I certainly have my own idea how to make the perfect turkey and have stated it several times. So I'm looking for your ideas, with reasons why you think your method is best.

1. Cook low and slow, heating at for that last few minutes to crispy up the skin.

2. Cook at a high temperature until the optimum meat temperature is reached, measuring with a meat thermometer.

3. Cook at moderate temperature for 15 minutes per pound.

4. Cook breast-side down, then flip half way through the cooking process.

5. Deep fry the turkey according to fryer directions.

6. Cook turkey in a sealed roasting bag.

7. Cook on high, then cool down oven to low to complete the process.

8. Cook on low, then heat up to complete the bird.

9. Baste frequently during the roasting process

10. Add lardoons into the turkey flesh.

11. Brine the bird before roasting.

12. Cook until the meat is 180 '.

13. Other.

Let's see whatcha got to say. Oh, and you pros out there, and you know who you are, when all is said and done, please help to educate the less experienced who just want a flawless Thanksgiving Turkey.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
Cook

Goodweed I have baked and deep fried turkey`s anf I have enjoyed both ways, there are
alot of different ways to go about it just like you have stated. But I think what is perfect for some isn`t so great for some others. I think its just what an individual likes, that `s
just like me, I have to have cranberry sauce with my holiday meal or its not right. everybody has to have something to make it perfect.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
number 3 with bacon over the outside then tin foil over the tray, then take the bacon off when cooked (to make sammichs) and let the turkey rest breast side down for a good half hour.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
if I can get this to be a poll, I will if you want GW.

I will say that my method is different, like a mix of brining and breast down, but great(thanks, MOM)!

My key is the 'ol V-rack, brined bird, do the bird breast side DOWN. Medium/moderate heat breast side UP until a little crisp. Flip after skin is nice and drop the temp by 25degrees .The skin crisps and acts like a cup, holds the juices in, makes the most moist white meat you have EVER had, I promise, even the leftovers.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post

I will say that my method is different, like a mix of brining and breast down, but great(thanks, MOM)!

My key is the 'ol V-rack, brined bird, do the bird breast side DOWN. Medium/moderate heat breast side UP until a little crisp. Flip after skin is nice and drop the temp by 25degrees .The skin crisps and acts like a cup, holds the juices in, makes the most moist white meat you have EVER had, I promise, even the leftovers.
Tatt; Please turn this into a poll. Thanks.

BigJimBray; I'm looking only for the cooking technique that you feel results in the finest quality turkey. What sides are required is up to the meal-maker.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Executive Chef

7,9 & 10

I also buy smaller, fresh turkeys from the butcher. Two 12-15 lb turkeys fit in my oven side by side. I rotate them twice during the cooking process.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post

Tatt please explain this in more detail Im very interested in your method.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I saw a thing on epicurious.com using a flavor injector to add olive oil of other thing to moisten turkey.Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I saw a thing on epicurious.com using a flavor injector to add olive oil of other thing to moisten turkey.Any thoughts?
For the fat, I spread butter underneath the skin using my fingers. It gives a nice crispy skin, and the breast meat has always come out moist.

I've been meaning to try the breast side down method.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Head Chef

9 out of 10 Turkeys surveyed felt people should eat pizza instead of Turkey.

The last one had a death wish.

I brine the Turkey, then turn over the cooking responsibilities to Sheila, so I'm not quite sure what she does after that. I get called back in to lift the turkey out of the roasting pan, then make the gravy.

I'm pretty sure she roasts it covered until it's about done, then uncovers it to brown it/crisp up the skin.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None