Turkey talk, advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an 8 legged Turkey! Only a couple of breast meat lovers, so I was able to pick up 6 extra drumsticks, wish I could have gotten some thighs as well.

Oh, we're going to need a picture of that! I have an idea! ? Get a big round platter and put the breast in the center, then surround it with the drumsticks with the bony end facing out so people can easily grab a leg. Then fill the spaces in between with the stuffing :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Oh, we're going to need a picture of that! I have an idea! ? Get a big round platter and put the breast in the center, then surround it with the drumsticks with the bony end facing out so people can easily grab a leg :) Then fill the spaces in between with the stuffing :mrgreen:

I was going to set it up just like that. :) I have to do some rearranging of furniture, but I will try to get pictures of the whole spread. We are having ham, too! (because I did not want to get swamped with just turkey leftovers)

I like to eat the meat on the back of the bird. I find meat near the bone is the tastiest. When I roast a bird breast up for the whole roasting time, I find the back gets soggy. It turns out just right when I turn the bird on its sides and then breast up. So, I think it does have something to do with gravity.

JMHO, I don't believe roasting a turkey breast side down, on its own, results in a juicier turkey. The juices run right past the breasts and into the pan. They don't get absorbed by the breasts.

If your turkey came out dry, it was overcooked.

I like to spread a rosemary and thyme herb butter under the skin on the breast to both flavor and help retain moistness.

One thing that I can absolutely agree with others on is no stuffing in the bird. That lengthens the required cooking time significantly and leads directly to overcooking. With some of the good recipes available for stuffing (or dressing if you prefer), you can get all the flavor necessary without resorting to putting it in the bird. I do a wild mushroom dressing that gets raves whenever I bring it to a holiday gathering.

Addressing turning a turkey (or any other large roast) during cooking - I have a pair of silicone gloves that I use for that. I don't try to balance it on forks or other utensils like I used to. Just pick it up turn it over and set it back down. Then I keep the gloves on and just wash my hands in the dishwater that I always have ready while I'm cooking. :chef:

Last edited:
Well, I've been making real stuffing - meaning stuffed in the bird - as long as I've been making Thanksgiving turkey and we're happy with the results, so that's what I like to do.

It looks like I'll be trying something new this year, though. We will probably not be back from Michigan (visiting the in-laws since my MIL is ill) until next Tuesday or Wednesday and there won't be time to thaw a whole turkey after we get back, so I will probably end up roasting parts on top of a pan of stuffing. Or maybe spatchcocking.

My way isn't the only right way. That's all I'm saying.

Nor is mine or the others. I suggest this method because it works and I like the results.
I have only roasted three turkeys breast side down in my entire life. And I never had a single issue with dryness all those previous years.
My point was and still is, "it made a difference". :)

I like to eat the meat on the back of the bird. I find meat near the bone is the tastiest. When I roast a bird breast up for the whole roasting time, I find the back gets soggy. It turns out just right when I turn the bird on its sides and then breast up. So, I think it does have something to do with gravity.

My wife used to throw away chicken wings! :ohmy: The horror when I first met her.
When she makes fried chicken I always cut up a whole bird for her. I cut the back and ribs part away from the breast then cut that section in half. I have her fry those two pieces along with the other pieces. The two back pieces by far are my favorite. Very crispy with skin and just a little meat. I love them.

Addressing turning a turkey (or any other large roast) during cooking - I have a pair of silicone gloves that I use for that. I don't try to balance it on forks or other utensils like I used to. Just pick it up turn it over and set it back down. Then I keep the gloves on and just wash my hands in the dishwater that I always have ready while I'm cooking. :chef:

Thanks RP for the tip. I have ruined several pot holders when I could just get some gloves. Thanks again.

Nor is mine or the others. I suggest this method because it works and I like the results.
I have only roasted three turkeys breast side down in my entire life. And I never had a single issue with dryness all those previous years.
My point was and still is, "it made a difference". :)...

Point taken:mrgreen:. Keep doing what you're doing if it works great for you. Where my stove sits in my kitchen, I would have to completely remove the pan with the bird to my work island, then place everything back into the oven. Tight spaces make this a little more challenging, but not impossible.

My favorite turkey cooking method is to smoke it on the Webber. DW will not accept any other technique except for an oven-roasted turkey. And it has to be very juicy for her to like it.

I hope you have a perfect Thanksgiving.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Point taken:mrgreen:. Keep doing what you're doing if it works great for you. Where my stove sits in my kitchen, I would have to completely remove the pan with the bird to my work island, then place everything back into the oven. Tight spaces make this a little more challenging, but not impossible.

My favorite turkey cooking method is to smoke it on the Webber. DW will not accept any other technique except for an oven-roasted turkey. And it has to be very juicy for her to like it.

I hope you have a perfect Thanksgiving.

Yes Chief, the method could and would be challenging for some folks.
I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

One more turkey tip:
Roast your bird the day before it is to be served. Remove it from the oven and let it sit for twenty minutes of so. Remove the whole breast halves, the legs and thigh, and wings from the carcass. REmove the back meat as well. Slice the breasts against the grain so that each slice gets a bit of skin. Slice the dark meat from the thighs. Arrange all of the meat into an oven-proof, lidded pan along with off the juices. Place the stuffing into a covered casserole dish. Refrigerate everything overnight, with the turkey meat sitting in its own drippings. Season the drippings if needed with salt and a bit of sage. That juice will absorb back into the meat, even if it was accidentally over-cooked. When all is reheated to 140' F. in the oven, the meat will be very, very juicy, and full flavored from sitting it the broth overnight. Arrange it all attractively on a serving platter and make gravy from the drippings.

This method gives you a little wiggle room if the turkey is just a bit under, or overcooked. Your turkey will be perfect.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nort

Chief, one of my mom's friends always roasted his bird the day before too. Then he reheated it the next day. Mom always raved about it.

Last edited:
One more turkey tip:
Roast your bird the day before it is to be served. Remove it from the oven and let it sit for twenty minutes of so. Remove the whole breast halves, the legs and thigh, and wings from the carcass. REmove the back meat as well. Slice the breasts against the grain so that each slice gets a bit of skin. Slice the dark meat from the thighs. Arrange all of the meat into an oven-proof, lidded pan along with off the juices. Place the stuffing into a covered casserole dish. Refrigerate everything overnight, with the turkey meat sitting in its own drippings. Season the drippings if needed with salt and a bit of sage. That juice will absorb back into the meat, even if it was accidentally over-cooked. When all is reheated to 140' F. in the oven, the meat will be very, very juicy, and full flavored from sitting it the broth overnight. Arrange it all attractively on a serving platter and make gravy from the drippings.

This method gives you a little wiggle room if the turkey is just a bit under, or overcooked. Your turkey will be perfect.

What a good idea! It probably takes less space in the fridge that way and you don't have to try to remove the breast meat while the turkey is hot. I also prefer cutting off all the breast meat and cutting it across the grain. I do it with chicken too.

When I was a child, my Dad (a butcher by trade) would cut up a whole turkey for us and Mom would start roasting the dark meat for a time before adding the white, ending up with both dark and white meat done to perfection at the same time. I haven't done that myself, but logic would say it's the perfect solution.

Last edited:
One more turkey tip:

My wife asked me last night if we could roast the turkey the day before as we are trying to make things as easy as possible.
I told her I did not think it was a good idea.
You may just have given me enough confidence to try it.
Thanks Chief!

Oh.... I use the turkey drippings and stock for gravy. I will not have any drippings if i pour it over the meat. What do you do?
I use a separator and use the turkey grease for the rou. So, I'm afraid my gravy could suffer should i try this?

Last edited:
My wife asked me last night if we could roast the turkey the day before as we are trying to make things as easy as possible.
Thanks Chief!

Oh.... I use the turkey drippings and stock for gravy. I will not have any drippings if i pour it over the meat. What do you do?
I use a separator and use the turkey grease for the rou. So, I'm afraid my gravy could suffer should i try this?

Michael Ruhlman describes the same technique, as well as an interesting method for braising the dark meat so all parts finish without overcooking: http://blog.ruhlman.com/2015/11/ruhlman-classic-roast-braise-turkey-2/

Make your stock in advance with turkey parts, and save the fat and drippings from that for the gravy. There's a link on the page for that.

Michael Ruhlman describes the same technique, as well as an interesting method for braising the dark meat so all parts finish without overcooking: Ruhlman Classic Roast-Braise Turkey | Michael Ruhlman

Make your stock in advance with turkey parts, and save the fat and drippings from that for the gravy. There's a link on the page for that.

#1. Thanks for the link, GG - does that turkey every look good.

RB, I make 'make ahead gravy' every year by spending a few extra bucks and using turkey parts. It's well worth it when Thanksgiving is over and everyone still wants gravy for hot turkey sandwiches, the leftover mashed potatoes, etc., and the gravy has been long gone. :(

It's time consuming, but it's not like you have to slave over a hot stove - most of the time the turkey parts and veggies are roasting, or the stock is simmering. You could also cut corners and use canned broth for part of the stock. Here's another couple of recipes - something to think about while you still have time. :)

Chef John's method sounds really good, but I would probably use at least 3 wings rather than 2, and not add quite so much water.

Chef John's Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy Recipe - Food.com

Cook's Country/ATK had a show on today about roasting turkeys. Interestingly enough, they advocated breast down cooking for part of the roasting time so that the dark meat got done but the breast didn't overcook. Didn't get to watch the whole show because I had to be somewhere but did see the rack they were using to suspend the turkey and make it easy to flip. https://www.cookscountry.com/products/4601-ultimate-turkey-rack

Thanks Chief!

After reheating, simply remove the carved turkey to the platter and pour off the pan juices to make your gravy. If you want, you can remove hardened fat before reheating to make separation easier. It will work beautifully for you. Give it a try.

After reheating, simply remove the carved turkey to the platter and pour off the pan juices to make your gravy. If you want, you can remove hardened fat before reheating to make separation easier. It will work beautifully for you. Give it a try.

Thanks Chief. I'm certain we can get a good gravy as my turkey stock will be highly fortified.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom