Tyler's double dipped fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
i'm really into trying out Tyler's recipes these days,i think the guys is a terrific cook,i tried this recipe of his today,and i'm telling ya its good stuff,we went for a picnic and i made this and some garlic bread and egg+potato salad,and some brownies,we had FUN. okey here's the recipe for fried chicken...

3 1/2 pound frying chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne
4 cups peanut oil, for frying

Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. In a shallow platter, combine the buttermilk, water, and red pepper sauce. Soak the chicken pieces, turn to coat, then cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If time allows, marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours because the buttermilk promotes tenderness. Place flour in a shallow platter. Season it by mixing in salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, paprika, and cayenne. Roll the marinated chicken pieces in the flour, a few at a time, until well coated. Then, dip chicken in the buttermilk bath again followed by another coat of seasoned flour. Allow the chicken to sit in the flour and dry out while preparing the oil, this will help the coating stay on better. The buttermilk will keep absorbing the seasoned flour, which then fries up to form a crunchy crust. Heat oil in a large electric skillet to 350 degrees F. There should be about 1-inch of fat in the pan. Carefully add the chicken pieces in a single layer, skin side down. Do not crowd the pan or the temperature will plummet; make sure the fat continues to bubble around the chicken. Fry for 5 minutes, then turn the pieces over and fry the other side 5 minutes. Turn again, frying a total of 15 minutes. The turning will produce a golden-crisp skin with even color. Remove chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Do not put hot chicken directly in a bowl or container, the air can not circulate and the steam will cause the crust to fall off. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature.

sarah said:
...Soak the chicken pieces, turn to coat, then cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If time allows, marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours because the buttermilk promotes tenderness...
For what its worth, many people declare that if you do not have the time to let chicken soak at least overnight, then there is no reason to even attempt frying it. :ohmy:

I, on the other hand, have given up on soaking chicken to tenderize it because today's chickens do not seem to benefit from the effort - nothing about their life at the chickenhouse is going to make the meat tough. Marinating for flavor, though, is another issue. :)

Be careful if your chicken has been injected with some sort of "broth" as the meat will be so juicy it will spatter a lot during frying.

One last observation is the bird size - I find that a three pound bird cut up gives the best size pieces for frying. But Tyler's bird size spec might have included the weight of the neck & gizzard pack.

Tom

Tyler's recipes are always good. I've made this and it's excellent. My grandkids love it they say it's better than the Colonel's. :LOL:

I haven't done his exact recipe, but have fried chicken with the same basic method. It's a lot of fuss and time, but it is SO worth it - the chicken was absolutely fantastic!

Tomw said:
I, on the other hand, have given up on soaking chicken to tenderize it because today's chickens do not seem to benefit from the effort - nothing about their life at the chickenhouse is going to make the meat tough. Marinating for flavor, though, is another issue. :)

Be careful if your chicken has been injected with some sort of "broth" as the meat will be so juicy it will spatter a lot during frying.

One last observation is the bird size - I find that a three pound bird cut up gives the best size pieces for frying. But Tyler's bird size spec might have included the weight of the neck & gizzard pack.

Tom

Very good points, Tom - Thank you!
PS - I checked out your homepage - Daniel and Jared are absolutely adorable!

i like him a lot,seems like a happy-go-lucky kind of guy,and has no airs about him like some of the other chefs,and his recipes r always easy and look delicious.

Back
Top Bottom