Warming up a turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
What do you think folks, if I cook turkey a day ahead and just warm it up before the guests arrive? I know it’s going to be crazy, so I was thinking that maybe this will help me. I have a 19 pounds turkey. If I do go with this plan, how long and at what temperature should I warm the bird up? Please help, Im starting to panic. :sick:

I've done this before. Someone else may have better idea.
I cooked it and deboned it and let it cool completely. I put it in an air tight zimploc and stored the stock in a container. The next day, I put the turkey in a pan and pour some of the stock over it, covered with foil and just warmed it at 300 for about 20-30 minutes. That will depend on ovens too.

Is there way to do the whole bird or cutting up will be necessary? Oh, yeah, what stock did you use?

I'm sorry, I didn't go in order. lol
I cooked the whole bird as normal in a roasting pan. Once it cooled down, I just cut the meat off the carcass. The stock I used was the juices from the bird from cooking. You can also use chicken broth if you need more and just mix it together for the dressing and gravy.

Charlie, if you do it the day before, you really need to take the meat off the carcass. You can still make it look really pretty on a platter, with a some orange slices and a sprig of fresh sage.

I've always done mine the day before, carve it & place it in one of those foil pans, cover it with foil, store in fridge, & just take out the pan & slide it in the oven at 300F for about 20-30 minutes. Pretty much like texasgirl described just without the broth. I may try the broth this year but even without it I've never had it come out dry after reheating it. After it is heated, I just arrange it on a pretty plater with a few fresh cranberries & sage leaves.

Back
Top Bottom