Washing Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
However, for me, I will continue to wash my chicken and cook it well. The basically fecal pools that suffice for washing chicken in processing plants should make me give it up, but I can't. I like it too much..

"Washing" which is generally just rinsing under running water won't do much other than spread the germs from the chicken around your kitchen. It certainly won't make your chicken any safer to eat, unless there is debris on the chicken. Then by all means wash it. And choose a different brand, next time.

Ya know, I have heard lots of people talk about the dirty water that chicken is washed in. I *actually* worked in a Tyson chicken processing plant, I watched the whole process, and I have NO qualms about eating commercial chicken from a USDA inspected plant.

After they are killed, plucked and gutted, the chickens are rinsed thoroughly with running water and then chilled in ice water. The whole place is cold, about 45 degrees, so the chicken is kept chilled thru the entire cutting up and packing process. Everything in the plant is sanitized with steam and chemicals each shift.

I wish my kitchen (or the kitchen at my favorite restaurant) was as clean as as a chicken processing plant.

"Washing" chicken, as some of the other posters said, is just spreading bacteria around. Unless you are washing with soap in hot water, you are NOT killing germs, you are just getting them on everything in your kitchen.

There are, of course, bacteria on chicken--whether that chicken comes from a big plant or from my backyard. Chicken that is "mistreated"--kept too warm or kept too long or undercooked--can make you sick.

jennyema said:
"Washing" which is generally just rinsing under running water won't do much other than spread the germs from the chicken around your kitchen. It certainly won't make your chicken any safer to eat, unless there is debris on the chicken. Then by all means wash it. And choose a different brand, next time.

Thank you. As I said, I answered only for myself. I guess it just makes me feel better. You may certainly answer for yourself .

Last edited:
I will still wash my chickens. I don't like pink water either. It isn't as if you are rubbing the bird all over your benches and sinks and cupboards. I think it can be a very neat operation. Nobody is going to wash the lettuce in the water used. If chicken was so unspeakably dangerous none of use would eat it. I just wish people knew how to use gloves correctly, and the principles and practice of avoiding cross contamination.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't use the lettuce washing water to wash chicken either. LOL

Caine said:
Have you considered running your chicken through the dishwasher?

I'd say that's not a very good idea! Water heaters are set at different temperatures. Yes, people have cooked fish tightly wrapped in foil in a dishwasher but chicken is not as delicate. Common sense tells me that's not a good idea. Do you have any literature that tells you to do this?

That is why I LOVE fried chicken...anything that can survive the oily deep, at 350, deserves the right to give me havoc....wait, chest pain! ARGH!....

TATTRAT said:
That is why I LOVE fried chicken...anything that can survive the oily deep, at 350, deserves the right to give me havoc....wait, chest pain! ARGH!....

I'm calling 911 - hang on!!!!!! :chef:

ok, I've got 911 on the phone - they said take the egg off your face - chest pain is from tripping and falling onto your computer!

Oh play nice!:ROFLMAO: So guys wash ur chicken! I never even imagined it, in my my mum's homestead we chased the 'chicken of the day' until we caught it and those who had the heart, slit it's throat(never me ever ) plucked it (dipped it in hot water ) and then it was ready to be cooked.

Jikoni said:
Oh play nice!:ROFLMAO: So guys wash ur chicken! I never even imagined it, in my my mum's homestead we chased the 'chicken of the day' until we caught it and those who had the heart, slit it's throat(never me ever ) plucked it (dipped it in hot water ) and then it was ready to be cooked.
But Jikoni, that chicken didn't sit in a refrigerated case on a styrofoam tray wrapped in plastic..... :rolleyes: for who-knows-how long!

GB said:
Yes that is exactly why the USDA recommends against it.

Also, washing the chicken with just water will not get rid of bacteria. It will just make it wet. Soap can kill bacteria, but I doubt anyone wants to lather up their chicken.

Know someone that will lather up a piece of broccoli!! Thought I knew her but I don't apparenntly, so technically we just met today :LOL: :angel: She might be willing to give it a wee sponge bath! hehehe

Do the veggie and fruit wash products they sell work? I'd be more inclinded to spray those than worry about getting out all the dishwashing detergent from the little crannies of the broccoli or cauliflower :wacko:

Don't think I don't know who you are talking about elfie girl! Yes folks, I wash ALL produce with soap and water. I do NOT however carry that to poultry. Blech!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom