"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
Senior Cook

How about chicken tartare? Chicken carpaccio? Anyone?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
However, for me, I will continue to wash my chicken and cook it well. The basically fecal pools that suffice for washing chicken in processing plants should make me give it up, but I can't. I like it too much..
"Washing" which is generally just rinsing under running water won't do much other than spread the germs from the chicken around your kitchen. It certainly won't make your chicken any safer to eat, unless there is debris on the chicken. Then by all means wash it. And choose a different brand, next time.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
Head Chef

Ya know, I have heard lots of people talk about the dirty water that chicken is washed in. I *actually* worked in a Tyson chicken processing plant, I watched the whole process, and I have NO qualms about eating commercial chicken from a USDA inspected plant.

After they are killed, plucked and gutted, the chickens are rinsed thoroughly with running water and then chilled in ice water. The whole place is cold, about 45 degrees, so the chicken is kept chilled thru the entire cutting up and packing process. Everything in the plant is sanitized with steam and chemicals each shift.

I wish my kitchen (or the kitchen at my favorite restaurant) was as clean as as a chicken processing plant.

"Washing" chicken, as some of the other posters said, is just spreading bacteria around. Unless you are washing with soap in hot water, you are NOT killing germs, you are just getting them on everything in your kitchen.

There are, of course, bacteria on chicken--whether that chicken comes from a big plant or from my backyard. Chicken that is "mistreated"--kept too warm or kept too long or undercooked--can make you sick.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
"Washing" which is generally just rinsing under running water won't do much other than spread the germs from the chicken around your kitchen. It certainly won't make your chicken any safer to eat, unless there is debris on the chicken. Then by all means wash it. And choose a different brand, next time.
Thank you. As I said, I answered only for myself. I guess it just makes me feel better. You may certainly answer for yourself .
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I will still wash my chickens. I don't like pink water either. It isn't as if you are rubbing the bird all over your benches and sinks and cupboards. I think it can be a very neat operation. Nobody is going to wash the lettuce in the water used. If chicken was so unspeakably dangerous none of use would eat it. I just wish people knew how to use gloves correctly, and the principles and practice of avoiding cross contamination.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Come to think of it, I wouldn't use the lettuce washing water to wash chicken either. LOL
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen
Come to think of it, I wouldn't use the lettuce washing water to wash chicken either. LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Have you considered running your chicken through the dishwasher?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Have you considered running your chicken through the dishwasher?
I'd say that's not a very good idea! Water heaters are set at different temperatures. Yes, people have cooked fish tightly wrapped in foil in a dishwasher but chicken is not as delicate. Common sense tells me that's not a good idea. Do you have any literature that tells you to do this?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #30
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
That is why I LOVE fried chicken...anything that can survive the oily deep, at 350, deserves the right to give me havoc....wait, chest pain! ARGH!....

Tags
None