"Weekend at Brining" (With Otter & Audeo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As has said and observed on other threads, it's what's on the inside that counts!

Sounds (and looks -bravo) like both intrepid contestants fared well.

Finally caught up on all the posts but am now being called to breakfast (bacon and biscuits). Back in a few.

Thanks, GB! To tell you the truth, I wasn't concerned about bacteria when I rinsed the bird. I knew I had limited that as much as possible with maintaining chilled ingredients and doing my best to limit exposure to warming. (I guarantee all bacteria was killed as I inadvertently tried to cremate the darned thing!) My worry, hence the rinse, was the fear of the unknown. Would soaking a "3% brine injected" commercial turkey in that much salt would create a salt block, instead of a turkey with balanced seasoning?

Now having done it once, I feel a lot more confident. Next time, I'll brine longer (6-8 hours), take your advice and skip the rinse, and keep a much closer eye on the thermometer after the first hour.

(Already have AB's chop recipe printed out!)

Thank you sincerely, GB, for your comments and suggestions!

kissmile.gif

Audeo, did you make gravy out of the contents in the bottom of the pan? I did (today) and it was saltier than I would have liked.

I did, Otter. I deglazed the roasting pan with a good bit of boiling water and ended up using only about two-thirds of these juices to make a gravy, which was diluted further. I added some cream, as well. But the gravy was good. Really rich.

I tasted the mirepoix, and there seemed to be some decent flavor left, so I put it in the blender and used it with the liquid drippings. I think that might have been the problem - don't usually do that.

BRINED TURKEY! YUM!

I am a great believer in brining poultry and pork.

After brining the "Cooks Illustrated" method (salt only) and the Alton Brown method (sugar and flavoring agents, too) I am also a great believer that brine needs both salt and sugar as well as a believer that brine is a great way to flavor the meat.

I always add soy sauce to my brine as well as salt. It's the UMAMI thing you know? Brings out the savory flavor. UMAMI:http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Main/Feature_Basic_Template/0,1197,1802,00.html

Also, I have found pan drippings to be salty, as they concentrate as the turkey roasts. But adding them to unsalted giblet broth makes terrific gravy.

jennyema, unfortuately I never have giblet broth - my dog Bridget has dibs on the (unbrined, of course) giblets! Next time I think I will try it first without adding the pureed mirepoix. If still salty, I will thin it with unsalted chicken broth to dilute the saltiness, and then add a roux to thicken it again and see if that works.

Ok! You guys have me convinced! My next turkey will indeed be brined!

Good job Audeo and Otter!

I adored this thread!

thanks otter and audeo for this informative entertaining thread - I loved every post! Better than any cooking show on TV IMHO.

I have one request to you intrepid testers if there's any of that turkey left - would you try freezing some of the meat and then report back if, when thawed, it is still moist? (Or maybe someone knows the answer to that already?)

Otter,

Schnitzel and Brewster get the cooked giblets but the broth is MINE! ;)

Regarding freezing (this is not an answer to the frozen cooked turkey question, however) I have taken to making up a brine and then freezing uncooked chicken in it so that it brines as it thaws. It works pretty well, but not as well as brining fresh poultry.

subfuscpersona, I didn't freeze any, but the leftovers have been great every day. jennyema, Bridget demands hers be baked in the oven with the turkey, so there is no broth.

Otter said:
jennyema, Bridget demands hers be baked in the oven with the turkey, so there is no broth.

It's a good thing I am at work where Schnitzel can't read the screen ..... ;)

A package of chix wings plus aromatics makes a fine broth, too ...

Frozen brined turkey retains its moisture very well...there's nothing that will pull the moisture out, once you've got it in...it just takes that bit longer to freeze and thaw...

Back
Top Bottom