What are Chicken Merrylands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chazad3

Assistant Cook
I was looking through some recipes on an Australian website and I found a recipe for Jerk Chicken Merrylands. It says in the recipe, "You may need to ask your Butcher for Chicken Merrylands. If that cut is not available substitute chicken legs."

I would like to know what that cut is like, how it is made, etc. as I have never heard of it before.

Thank you.

Constance is indeed correct, that is indeed what a chicken maryland is.

As an additional note it is traditionally sold with the skin still on, though you can easily remove it yourself if yourself or the recipe calls for it.

as I come from that area (Maryland) we raise a lot of chicken here. And grilled chicken "barbeques" are a summer norm. As the market is for skinless boneless breasts, we are left with much leg and thigh meat. So the typical summer grill afair is a leg/thigh section with bone and skin (gives you a great crunch and has a handle so no utensils are needed) perfect for the picnic. But only non USAers seem to call it that. Also known as chicken quarters hind section.

Thank you for the information

The "Maryland Cut" was a term I had never heard, but I am very familiar with Whole Chicken Legs (skin on), or Chicken Quarters as I am used to seeing them labeled.

Thank you for the information. If you would like to see the recipe I was reading, here is the link.

Last edited:
Merrylands is a suburb of Sydney but they certainly aren't known for their chicken production!! I always assumed Chicken Marylands were an American thing so I've learnt something.

Does anyone know where you would buy these style of cuts from? Would places like Leonards, or coles, wollies, etc stock them?
Alternatively, would there be anything wrong with just cutting a whole chook into 4 parts to use? I would like something a bit more substantial than just chicken legs.

Does anyone know where you would buy these style of cuts from? Would places like Leonards, or coles, wollies, etc stock them?
Alternatively, would there be anything wrong with just cutting a whole chook into 4 parts to use? I would like something a bit more substantial than just chicken legs.
Welcome Blake, gee! you've dragged this thread out of the archives, not to worry, all of the above should have those cuts

Wow, I didnt even realise how dated this thread was. I just did a search for merrylands chicken and this site was one of my results.
Thanks for the tip. My mate reckons that if i give lenards notice they should be able to do it for me.
Nice, I'm gonna be having some awesome Jamaican Jerk Chicken come sunday night!

I was looking through some recipes on an Australian website and I found a recipe for Jerk Chicken Merrylands. It says in the recipe, "You may need to ask your Butcher for Chicken Merrylands. If that cut is not available substitute chicken legs."

I would like to know what that cut is like, how it is made, etc. as I have never heard of it before.

Thank you.

Hi Chazad,
To me "Chicken Maryland" is a classic of American cooking, and nothing whatsoever to do with Australia or any cut of chicken.

All the best,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom