What does soaking chicken in milk do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, kelly, i'd guess an expert is anyone who really believes what they're posting.

it's all about perceptive reality, really.

other than that, scientific explanations are greatly appreciated. :)

all kidding and philosophy aside, the more you back up your posts with credible facts and figures, and maybe a link or two, will get you labelled an "expert". after a while, we'll get to rely on your responses as such.

NERDS UNITE!

ooh, i think i pulled something. i gotta sit down.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
lol, kelly, i'd guess an expert is anyone who really believes what they're posting.

it's all about perceptive reality, really.

other than that, scientific explanations are greatly appreciated. :)

all kidding and philosophy aside, the more you back up your posts with credible facts and figures, and maybe a link or two, will get you labelled an "expert". after a while, we'll get to rely on your responses as such.

NERDS UNITE!

ooh, i think i pulled something. i gotta sit down.

Bucky,

Okay, I have the believing what I post thing down because I've studied and worked at it for many years. You may have noticed that I believe what I post by now. Even the (qualified) TV experts often disagree regarding certain things. (I only mention them because they're often the only ones people like us see.)

As to the next thing, you actually want scientific explanations?!?!?! WOW! I'm in nerd heaven! Does everyone here feel this way, or at least the majority of them?

Kelly

kelly, i think a well written, humorous, anecdotal, informative response loaded with both lay and scientific explanations is a pre-requisite here.

now don't dissapoint us...:cool:

buckytom said:
kelly, i think a well written, humorous, anecdotal, informative response loaded with both lay and scientific explanations is a pre-requisite here.

now don't dissapoint us...:cool:

So basically, you want Alton Brown. I'll try. :-p

Kelly

Kelly, we have all types here. Some (like me) love the science behind the cooking. Others could care less about it. That, among many other things, is what makes this such a great site. We are very open to almost anything having to do with learning about and experiencing food and cooking.

As far as what defines an expert, for me it would be someone who has proven themselves in the past by providing information that I have seen as accurate. Each person here has members who they may consider experts and for each person those experts might be different members. using FoodTV as an example, Some people might consider Alton Brown an expert at food science while other people might think he is full of it and gives inaccurate info a lot. Each person is going to be different.

Kelly, I am on the other end of the spectrum than GB, I could barely finish reading what he just said up above. I happened to agree with you on chicken and milk thing, mostly because of my cooking experience absolutely with out any scientific backing :)

GB said:
Kelly, we have all types here. Some (like me) love the science behind the cooking. Others could care less about it. That, among many other things, is what makes this such a great site. We are very open to almost anything having to do with learning about and experiencing food and cooking.

As far as what defines an expert, for me it would be someone who has proven themselves in the past by providing information that I have seen as accurate. Each person here has members who they may consider experts and for each person those experts might be different members. using FoodTV as an example, Some people might consider Alton Brown an expert at food science while other people might think he is full of it and gives inaccurate info a lot. Each person is going to be different.

GB,

Thanks for the response. Of course I was being facetious; I wouldn't think of trying to "be" Alton Brown, but at the same time I have a hard time imagining that some people "think he is full of it and gives inaccurate info a lot." though I suppose it takes all types to make the world go 'round.

For me, at least, everything he says works, and I really appreciate the fact that he backs it up with science. Speaking as the musician that I am, it is the same thing to me as the difference between learning one blues tune by rote, and realizing all blues tunes are related. Learn one by rote, and you can play that one tune. Learn that they are all related, and how, and you can play 'em all.

If one is able to learn to ignore the old wives tales that have been hammered into them from the beginning, and has a modicum of intelligence, one can take Alton's advice and apply it to a lot more things than the recipe he happens to be touting at the time. However, if one persists in thinking they need to cook an X-pound roast for X-amount of hours, or cook a turkey to 185 degrees, (like their mama told them) and can still rail against Alton Brown, they deserve what they get.

And no, this is not a case of blind hero-worship. The only reason I revere him as much as I do is that I've tried his methods, and found them accurate and instructional, and have through him learned to cook everything from a turkey to a succulent pork roast, all in one episode, even though the turkey episode didn't mention pork roast.

To me, the whole thing about cooking, just like music, is to learn how it all is related. I recently got involved in a thread where someone was asking about how to make soup. I started out trying to teach them how to make soup, but my posts were soon buried in other people's posts of soup recipes. You can learn to follow a recipe to make a certain kind of soup, but if you learn to make soup, you don't need the recipes, and you can make great soup with whatever is on hand, as long as you have already made a good chicken, beef, seafood, or vegetable stock, or even have some cream. You can't, on the other hand, just throw a lot of stuff into a pot of boiling water, and expect the result to be good soup. You need to first understand what makes good soup.

So yes, I'm a pretty much unabashed fan of Alton Brown. I don't, however, agree with him as to his assessment of deep fat turkey fryers, and I think his obsession with cleanliness is a bit paranoid. To be fair, however, he has a TV show, and there are plenty of people out there who would not hesitate to try to sue him, were they to burn their houses down or contract food poisoning.

Kelly

i tried soaking the chicken in milk before deep frying it
it was so tender n nice :)

KellyM said:
GB,

... If one is able to learn to ignore the old wives tales that have been hammered into them from the beginning, and has a modicum of intelligence... the whole thing about cooking, just like music, is to learn how it all is related. I recently got involved in a thread where someone was asking about how to make soup. I started out trying to teach them how to make soup, but my posts were soon buried in other people's posts of soup recipes. You can learn to follow a recipe to make a certain kind of soup, but if you learn to make soup, you don't need the recipes, and you can make great soup with whatever is on hand, as long as you have already made a good chicken, beef, seafood, or vegetable stock, or even have some cream. You can't, on the other hand, just throw a lot of stuff into a pot of boiling water, and expect the result to be good soup. You need to first understand what makes good soup...

Kelly

By my thought process, you have hit the nail on hte head. Once you understand the techniques and relationships, recipes are only used to develop a knew skill, or to give you new ideas.

I write cookbooks and stress that the recipes in them are only there to teach the techniques that make the food come out great. I love cooking, and have taken great pains and time to hone my skills and seperate the wive's tales, and foolish traditions from techniques that really work.

I have seen techniques put forth by clebrity chefs on FN that were just plain wrong. And I proved it to my older sister that followed one of the techniques she saw for cooking a turkey. She cooked one by the method proposed by the celebrity chef (breast side down for X amount of time per pound), and mine, breast side up until a meat thermometer gave me the temperature I wanted, where I wanted it. The quality of the two turkeys after cooking was dramatically different, with the breast side down turkey coming out barely passable, and mine coming out extraordinary.

Now I didn't create the technique I use, but through testing, I was able to determine with method really worked, and why it worked.

Your post says that you have that same desire to find the truth about cooking and I congratulate you for it. You are my comrade in arms, so to speak.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Until recently I'd never heard of soaking chicken (or pheasant) in milk - liver, yes! but not poultry. I have always understood the purpose of soaking liver in milk is to reduce the strength of the flavour, which makes sense as some livers can be very 'flavourful'. Recently I was asked about soaking pheasant in milk, so I decided to investigate. It appears to serve exactly the same purpose for pheasant!

For those who do not desire the very strong, gamey flavour that defines hung pheasant, soaking the bird in milk overnight will reduce the 'gamey-ness', producing a much milder, more palatable flavour. Of course, you could just eat the pheasant while fresh and avoid the issue...

bump.

i caught a lurker reading this.

my newest answer to "what does soaking a chicken in milk do" is:

it really pisses the chicken off!

If you give your chicken a bath in chocolate milk do you get brown eggs?

Do Rhode Island Reds get bathed in strawberry milk?

Oh the questions just never stop. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom