"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 08-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire
Ha! Look, I even said that two years ago when this thread was started!

Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's an old habit that isn't relevant anymore. Many years ago, most of the chickens people ate were older, tougher birds. Soaking them in buttermilk tenderized them because of the acidity in the buttermilk. Today's chickens are butchered and sold at a much younger age, so they are inherently more tender.
What does soaking chicken in milk do?

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #62
Executive Chef
I have no idea what it does and have no real reason to find out. Chicken pieces, liberal dose of salt and pepper dredged in flour is how chicken has been done here at our house.
Its always great!

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #63
Master Chef
My absolutely most tender chicken is achieved either through a process called velveting, or by cutting into nuggets, or strips, and coating with flour as I explained previously, and cooking until lightly browned.

Both work because there are indicators that when watched carefully, tell you when the chicken is cooked through, but just barely. With velveting, the cornstach slurry/marinade coats the chicken with a light coating of hydrated cornstarch. The meat is placed in hot, but not boiling water, or 340' oil. When the cornstarch coating turns opaque, the chicken is done to perfection, and is exceptionally tender and moist. The chicken has to be cut into the right sized cubes, or strips for this to work.

With the flour coating, again the indicator is a light brown coating after frying in hot oil (360'). When the coating reaches that golden color the chicken is at the perfect temperature and is very tender and juicy.

Sous vide chicken benefits from the same process of cooking the chicken to just the right meat temperature so that it is the best it can be.

All of the processes that claim to give you the best chicken work by this same principle, cooking the meat to its perfect temperature.

The process I use for fried chicken does the same thing. By first browning the coated pieces of chicken in hot oil, then finishing them in the oven, I avoid overcooking the outer surface, while bringing the innermost meat up to the proper temperature. The timing was developed by my MIL, at least that's as far back as I know the technique was used. It has never failed me.

It doesn't matter whether you are cooking chicken strips, nuggets, tenders, pieces, or the whole bird, or even a turkey. If the meat is cooked to a just-barely cooked state (about 160'F.) the meat will be great. If brought much higher, it will toughen and dry out.

Now learning to get that poultry to the exact right temperature, through whatever means you use to cook it, that's the trick.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #64
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have no idea what it does and have no real reason to find out. Chicken pieces, liberal dose of salt and pepper dredged in flour is how chicken has been done here at our house.
Its always great!
Roll-Bones I agree with you 100% for fried chicken.

It's how I do it too.

That's the way Ethel Wiggins my grandmothers housekeeper/cook made it and it's the best fried chicken I ever had.
She always ate hers with ketchup and I'll always wonder why but to each there own.

I can understand attempting different methods for different styles/recipe's and I can see using the practice for attaining different results. I also understand that the chicken's we buy today differ from those that are available today.
But if you're looking for great Fried Chicken go with KISS.
Zagut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #65
Sous Chef
I just found this today that promises juicy chicken breasts. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to soon.

Three-Ingredient Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I have noticed that salt on chicken does tend to make it very juicy and flavorful. I've made Chef John's version of salt roasted chicken and I love it.

rodentraiser is online now   Reply With Quote