What happened to my chicken????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I was fooling around with a new oven fried chicken recipe. Perdue thighs, skin on, bone in. Soaked 20 minutes in buttermilk, rolled in flour with seasonings, placed in 13x9 Pyrex, pat of butter on each piece. Preheated to 425 oven, cooked 20 minutes, flipped and then another 20 minutes. Instant read thermometer read 175. So why was it so red inside? Juices were clear, but inside was very reddish pink. I was glad no one was over to eat it, it surely didn't "present" well, even if it was safe. Ideas? Thank you.

Well, it is dark meat, how pink we talkin'? Either way, 425, for 40min seems MORE than adequate for some thighs. How was in in the joint and near the bone?

Enough red/pink that you wouldn't want to serve it to guests. I'm wondering if it was slightly frozen in the center. It seemed ok, I took it out of the freezer and into the fridge 2 day ago.

Ahh, you failed to mention the whole frozen thing. . .that may very well be the case, but, I would still think 425 for 40min would have cooked it sufficiently. . .I dunno

ORcars was this color just around the bone and did the structure of the meat look cooked?

I find I prefer the texture of dark meat when it's cooked to a higher temperature than the safe minimum. Thighs cooked to 180ºF - 185ºF are juicy and have a more pleasant texture.

With young frozen chickens with porous bones some of the color from the marrow leaches through, this can also happen if the bone has been cracked in production.
There is also a theory that if the chicken has been fed growth hormones this can happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom