"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
That's ok suzy... just leaves more for us to fight over

Old 12-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #12
Head Chef

I put them in a sauce pan along with whatever skin/fat I trim off the chicken and simmer in enough water to fully cover the parts. Then I use the broth and cut up all the chicken parts to feed my doggies. They love it over rice for breakfast! (I don't salt or season it.)

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Master Chef

I do the same thing, Callie, except I stick it in the microwave. I pierce the giblets with a cooking fork first, so they won't explode (hopefully) and cover bowl with a piece of waxed paper in case they do.
My cats are very picky, but they do like the livers. My pup will eat the rest. I throw away the neck once it's picked and boiled, though, as I don't want my animals getting choked on the little bones.

Now, if I'm frying the chicken, I fry up the liver and giblets, and my husband and I fight over them.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I use them all for giblet (as we call it in the UK) gravy.
Me, too! I love the tasty bits in the gravy. Some I cook for think they don't like them, so I often strain half and don't tell them from what the gravy was made.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

simmer all but the liver with aromatic herbs and vegetables for a broth for the gravy you will make with pan drippings. the liver fry up in butter or bacon fat and chop into your stuffing/dressing or just enjoy it on toast!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I toss all the parts into a pot with some water, celery, carrotts, onions, bay leaf, poultry seasoning, and let simmer for a couple hours, then strain all and use in a gravy with the stock from a turkey or chicken. I chop up the liver to add to the gravy.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

You've got it goin' on, Amber.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

The liver goes into a freezer bag and gets saved for a liver dish such as dirty rice or chopped liver. Everything else is saved for stock along with the bones and scraps.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #19
Head Chef

Gosh, I suppose someone could start a whole thread on chicken offal.

Usually with one chicken, just saute up the liver and gizzard, the treat for the cook. Can also do so with the heart but that is not my favorite.

Or, as amber said, will take the heart, gizzard, and neck and make a quick stock with mirepoix and seasonings, and use for a sauce. You can get enough to serve with the chicken. Don't use the liver in the stock, don't like the taste it adds and besides, there is nothing better than a sauteed chicken liver.

I think that chicken insides are very overlooked as good eating. We can sometimes buy the livers or gizzards at the local supermarkets in plastic containers. Yum. But as I say, that could be a separate topic.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Gosh, I suppose someone could start a whole thread on chicken offal....
Someone already did!

Tags
None