What to do w/the innards of the chix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried something different this year, but with turkey (this applies because turkey and chicken giblets are very similar in flavor). I purchased a package of gizzards and a package of smoked turkey wings from which I made the stock for my gravies and sauces. I included the liver , gizzards, necks, and heart from the two turkeys I prepared this year. After boiling, I removed them and let cool. The neck meat was used along with the most of the gizzards to make turkey salad for sandwiches (chop and mix with Miracle Whip, onion, mustard, and pickle relish). The rest was placed into the blender with 1/2 cup of the broth, and 1 egg and belnded into a slurry. I seasoned with sage, onion, black pepper, garlic, and a bit of salt. This went into a lightly greased loaf pan and was baked until everything was firm. It was then allowed to cool and removed from the pan. I now have my own luncheon-meat loaf. You can also use these products uncooked, and turn them into a slurry before baking to create various pate's or turrines. You can add ingredients such as peppers, either/both sweet and hot, tomato, onion, celery, herbs/spices, other meats, dry soup mix, etc.

This is a good way to create lunch meat for sandwiches that is both inexpensive, and has the nutritional value determined by the ingredients. The resultant loaf is low in fat, and contains no preservatives or ingredients that you aren't sure of.

Try it. You just might be surprized at how good your home-made sandwich meat can be.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I make stock/pan sauces with everything but the liver (which can make things a bit bitter - to me anyways).

I usually toss the liver, but I've read some French bistro recipes where you saute them and then blend 'em into a vinaigrette using red wine vinegar, rendered chicken fat, salt-sugar, dijon, and a few fresh herbs (like some chives). I plan to try this next time.

Since no one in our house likes them but me, I usually cook them up with the stock and eat them with a little salt and pepper as a snack when I'm preparing Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. We have turkey at Christmas, too.

However, when I have saved a quantity of livers, my children like a dish I created when they were very small.

I dredge the livers in flour with a little salt and pepper, then brown them up in some olive oil and butter. After they're nice and brown, I add some chicken stock and white wine. Put in some tarragon and simmer until everything gets nice and "happy" as Emeril would say. The sauce thickens slightly and I serve over hot rice or noodles.

I do one of 2 things with them after poaching them in water until cooked through.

I either freeze them until I have enough to mince up for "Dirty Rice", or I chop them up for the cats.

Now for the livers alone, one of my grandmother's favorite cocktail "nibbles" was to saute a pound of chicken livers in lots of butter - along with a heavy sprinkling of caraway seeds - until cooked through, then squeeze the juice of a lemon over them & serve them on a platter with frilly toothpicks. I still make them that way for myself for dinner sometimes (minus the frilly toothpicks).

Toss the neck, or if it makes sense, freeze it with other bones for a future stock.

Make a stuffing with the remainder:

Chop up the other goodies into small dice. Sautee them with some finely-chopped onion, toss in some currants and some pine nuts and then, after a few minutes, several cups of rice. Add stock and seasonings and partially cook. Cool and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom