"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

How about wraps. Do you like them. I think rotisserie chicken can go well with any ethnic cuisine.

I like to make thai style chicken wraps. You can use the leftover chicken as a filling. Make a salad of shredded cabbage, carrots and some bean sprouts. Toss them with a little lime juice, chilli powder, sugar and fresh cilantro.

Make a peanut sauce - with peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, chilli sauce, sugar and pinch of salt.

To assemble use a large flour tortilla, add the chicken, top it with the peanut sauce and salad. Roll, cut at a diagonal and serve

You can make a similar version and make it mexican by making a salsa of black beans, corn, tomatoes, chillies and cilantro along with lime juice. Place this in the tortilla on top of the chicken and then add some lettuce and cheese of your choice.

Finally shwarma is a good sandwich that I make often (I just posted the recipe on the Lamb forum) if you want to try that. It has a middleastern flair and is made with pita and either lamb or chicken leftovers. Both versions taste good.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
Cook

I make simple open faced sandwiches. I mix the meat with some gravy and pour over toast then add another piece of toast and gravy on top (i also sometimes pour this over biscuits) usually, i serve mashed potatoes along side. i do this with beef, pork and turkey too. Its basic and simple but its a quick meal from leftovers. Also, if its just going to be a quick meal from leftovers, I often use store bought gravy or biscuits if I'm using them. If i have time, sometimes I'll first sauté in butter, some chopped onions and/or canned mushrooms to add the meat and gravy to before I re-heat it.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
How about wraps. Do you like them. I think rotisserie chicken can go well with any ethnic cuisine.

I like to make thai style chicken wraps. You can use the leftover chicken as a filling. Make a salad of shredded cabbage, carrots and some bean sprouts. Toss them with a little lime juice, chilli powder, sugar and fresh cilantro.

Make a peanut sauce - with peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, chilli sauce, sugar and pinch of salt.

To assemble use a large flour tortilla, add the chicken, top it with the peanut sauce and salad. Roll, cut at a diagonal and serve

You can make a similar version and make it mexican by making a salsa of black beans, corn, tomatoes, chillies and cilantro along with lime juice. Place this in the tortilla on top of the chicken and then add some lettuce and cheese of your choice.

Finally shwarma is a good sandwich that I make often (I just posted the recipe on the Lamb forum) if you want to try that. It has a middleastern flair and is made with pita and either lamb or chicken leftovers. Both versions taste good.
The wraps are a good idea. The peanut butter here really stinks. I doubt it would make a good peanut sauce. But the asian markets might have something. Good idea. I will definitely check out the shwarma. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary b
I make simple open faced sandwiches. I mix the meat with some gravy and pour over toast then add another piece of toast and gravy on top (i also sometimes pour this over biscuits) usually, i serve mashed potatoes along side. i do this with beef, pork and turkey too. Its basic and simple but its a quick meal from leftovers. Also, if its just going to be a quick meal from leftovers, I often use store bought gravy or biscuits if I'm using them. If i have time, sometimes I'll first sauté in butter, some chopped onions and/or canned mushrooms to add the meat and gravy to before I re-heat it.
This sounds great! Thank you. I can't get the biscuits or gravy, but I can definitely find good substitutes. It's like a deconstructed manhattan - great idea! ETA: I guess I can get biscuits at a couple of the more upscale groceries. Of course, the bread here is to die for anyway. :)
Old 03-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Maybe you could take the whole left over chicken and simmer it with onions,carrots,celery etc make a great stock pull out chicken out pick off meat add back to stock add some egg noodles and so forth and make chicken noodle soup.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Maybe you could take the whole left over chicken and simmer it with onions,carrots,celery etc make a great stock pull out chicken out pick off meat add back to stock add some egg noodles and so forth and make chicken noodle soup.
They have this rub on the skin - should I take the skin off first?
Old 03-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i'd like to suggest cheater's soups, specifically thai or korean.

hey, it's leftovers, so cheating is no big deal.

i cheat on my thai soup and buy tom yum soup base. you just add hot water to a tbsp. or 2 of the base, then add sliced mushrooms, scallions, and your leftover (skin removed) chicken.

i also cheat on my korean kimchi noodle soup. i buy a korean type dried ramen noodle soup, prepare it as instructed, add some kimchi, hot sesame oil, and leftover chicken chunks.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None