"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

You could ground the meat and and make humburgers.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
...The US is all about canned, boxed, frozen, processed food. I'm just looking for scratch recipes.
As an American I would take exception to this, but unfortunately it is way too true for many Americans! Many of us do cook from scratch (I'll admit I do add canned mushroom soup or other things now and then, and I use a lot of canned tomatoes since I do not have my own garden yet and produce is very expensive in this area), but cooking is becoming a dying art in the U.S. We need to get it back!

Barbara

Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
As an American I would take exception to this
I'm an American, too.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

I think you are making good use of your Turkey parts and I wish I had them because I just love the parts of the Turkey.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
I'm an American, too.
So you know firsthand. The funny thing is, some of the processed foods that are supposed to make things faster and easier really don't. Someone gave me a box of Hamburger Helper once. It was more of a pain to make it than cooking from scratch would have been! And it was full of salt.

Barbara
Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Lately, I've had nothing but horrible experiences with hamburger helper. Tastes like salty glue. Bleck! Invariably gets burned on the bottom of the pan.

Not to mention, the only version of the stuff that PeppA buys is Beef Strongonoff, and since it contains dehydrated dairy products, sets my lactose intolerance off like there's no tomorrow.

I can make two versions of Beef Strogonoff, a quick one using just cream of mushroom soup, and one "from scratch". The "from scratch" version takes a little longer, tastes about the same as the version with cream of mushroom soup, but is satisfying to know EXACTLY what went into it. Also, it doesn't set my lactose intolerance off as badly.

This is probably half of the big difference between my style of cooking, and PeppA's style of cooking. I'm a "from scratch" type person, mainly because I'm concerned about salt content, and PeppA is a "out of the box/can/mix" type person.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
So you know firsthand. The funny thing is, some of the processed foods that are supposed to make things faster and easier really don't. Someone gave me a box of Hamburger Helper once. It was more of a pain to make it than cooking from scratch would have been! And it was full of salt.

Barbara
You said it sister! I wonder sometimes if the overload on salt in these pre-packaged items lead to children not liking freshly made food. (I have a niece with children that will eat only McD's and boxed food.)
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Lately, I've had nothing but horrible experiences with hamburger helper. Tastes like salty glue. Bleck! Invariably gets burned on the bottom of the pan.

Not to mention, the only version of the stuff that PeppA buys is Beef Strongonoff, and since it contains dehydrated dairy products, sets my lactose intolerance off like there's no tomorrow.

I can make two versions of Beef Strogonoff, a quick one using just cream of mushroom soup, and one "from scratch". The "from scratch" version takes a little longer, tastes about the same as the version with cream of mushroom soup, but is satisfying to know EXACTLY what went into it. Also, it doesn't set my lactose intolerance off as badly.

This is probably half of the big difference between my style of cooking, and PeppA's style of cooking. I'm a "from scratch" type person, mainly because I'm concerned about salt content, and PeppA is a "out of the box/can/mix" type person.
Like I said above, the salt content alone (not to mention other processed ingredients made from various plastics) is something to be concerned about. Who is PeppA? Your spouse/significant other?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #19
Head Chef

Fried turkey
Love to take thin slices of turkey dip in flour and then in a batter and deep fry it
yum
Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I haven't read all the posts but I would poach what is left and use it in cooked dishes like pot pie, shepherd's pie, tetrazini, etc.

Tags
None