What to stuff a chicken with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
Tonite I roasted a chicken stuffed with a mixture of wild rice & diced onions & it came out excellent. What are some other things I can do?

Spinach and feta cheese
Prosciutto and fontina
Sundried tomato and pine nuts
Crabmeat
Tapenade

cornbread and jalapenos
crawfish jambalya
prosciutto/pecans/stuffing

Those above I have tried and liked very well.

Mushrooms. Get some shiitakes and chanterelles and stuff the raw mushrooms inside the chicken. They'll release all of their juices into the chicken and make it delicious. Sauce with some reduced balsamic vinegar and you've got yourself a crowd pleaser.

cooked Italian sausage, wild rice, chopped pecans, onions and celery.

switch seasoned bread crumbs for the wild rice...add some hot chili flakes, add in some chopped olives or for a sweeter stuffing, chopped apple and golden raisins.

Many wonderful stuffings can be created.

The other day I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and butterflyed them then stuffed them with sliced onion, jalepeno, and cream cheese and then wrapped them in bacon and baked them in the oven. It was realy good.

Try stuffing it with monterrey jack cheese, canned diced green peppers, onions, crumbled toast, salt, pepper and paprika. Mix all and stuff the bone-in sliced chicken breasts and bake for an hour at 350 degrees. Use toothpicks to close up the chicken slit to keep the stuffing from overflowing.

if you like goat cheese, trust me on this.

sautee some spinach with minced garlic in evoo over medium heat until wilted. let cool, chop and mix with goat cheese.

you can add chopped prosciutto, or diced mushrooms to add another dimension, if you want.

use mix to stuff chicken.

rosemary, thyme, savory or sage leaves, in any combination, plus a few herb sprigs
garlic cloves, lightly smashed
lemon - pricked or sliced in half
shallots, peeled and cut

Are you talking about stuffing a whole chicken, or pieces? I would think cheese in a mixture inside the bird would end up a gloppy mess.

I don't stuff the whole bird. I cook the dressing in a casserole and serve alongside. Same for turkey. The meat cooks more evenly and quickly without the starch inside.

If you are talking about a whole bird, I often just put a lemon or orange, cut in half, in the cavity to help flavour the meat. You can also put flavoured butter under the breat skin.

ChefJune said:
Are you talking about stuffing a whole chicken, or pieces? I would think cheese in a mixture inside the bird would end up a gloppy mess.

I don't stuff the whole bird. I cook the dressing in a casserole and serve alongside. Same for turkey. The meat cooks more evenly and quickly without the starch inside.
Sorry, This is for stuffed chicken breast. flatten breast, place in stuffing mixture, fold over and either grill or bake. I'll tell you it makes a very simple recipe but the flavor is yummy!!!!!!

Chicken & Dressing for ONE

Using a microwave omelet maker, place one tbsp of ranch dressing in the bottom on one side. Add 1/4 cup of box herb stuffing mix. Cover with one boneless chicken breast (thawed & trim to fit) and add a tbsp of ranch dressing on top. Close the container and microwave about 8 minutes on medium power (550-600).

Renee Attili said:
Sorry, This is for stuffed chicken breast. flatten breast, place in stuffing mixture, fold over and either grill or bake. I'll tell you it makes a very simple recipe but the flavor is yummy!!!!!!

I think Chef June's post was directed towards Baking Fool. He/she did not specify in the original post as to whether or not this was a whole chicken or a roulade. Clarification is always good. It saves a lot of time and wasted energy. The problem with the original stuffing (wild rice and onions) is that it could be used to stuff both types of chicken. If the sutffing was say, sun dried tomatoes and pesto, it would be safe to assume that it was a roulade rather than the whole bird.

ironchef said:
I think Chef June's post was directed towards Baking Fool. He/she did not specify in the original post as to whether or not this was a whole chicken or a roulade. Clarification is always good. It saves a lot of time and wasted energy. The problem with the original stuffing (wild rice and onions) is that it could be used to stuff both types of chicken. If the sutffing was say, sun dried tomatoes and pesto, it would be safe to assume that it was a roulade rather than the whole bird.

i meant a whole chicken

baking fool said:
Tonite I roasted a chicken stuffed with a mixture of wild rice & diced onions & it came out excellent. What are some other things I can do?

Hi bf. I took your post to mean stuffing a whole chicken... so, another way to go, other than stuffing the chicken with lemon and herbs, is stuffing the chicken with an orange or lemon &/or lime, and herbs of choice. I usually, not always, prepare a bread/rice stuffing on the side. One of my faves is clam or oyster dressing/stuffing. Another bread-like variation to the amaretto and apricot stuffing recipe I posted, can be adding any fruit of choice, i.e. cranberries, dried apples, raisins, cherries, dates, etc. & chopped walnuts or toasted pine nuts - & place some herbs under the skin of the chicken while it cooks/roasts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom