What Turkey Type Are You Buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of Turkey did you buy?

• Fresh - I'll brine it myself

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Fresh - I'll butter/oil it myself

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fresh Kosher Pre-Brined

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fresh or Frozen Organic or Free-Range

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Frozen Inexpensive - Self-basting

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen Young Turkey

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Butterball

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Great info!

I will be useing a frozen turkey this year because it is so much cheaper.I saw a show on americas test kithcen Where they coverd the turkey with salt pork and then wet cheese cloth.I cant rember the name of the technique, but was wondering if any of you have ever done such a thing?

I will be useing a frozen turkey this year because it is so much cheaper.I saw a show on americas test kithcen Where they coverd the turkey with salt pork and then wet cheese cloth.I cant rember the name of the technique, but was wondering if any of you have ever done such a thing?

Never imagined doing that. I can't say if it's a good or bad idea but have been successful roasting turkeys for a long time without ever having to do that.

I love America's Test Kitchen and have one of the cookbooks, but somtimes they are a bit over the top. I just checked my cookbook and that method is not in there. Just applying butter under the skin and melted butter over the top before roasting.

Boy am I brainless...I got all excited seeing the packages of extra turkey gizzards and bought 2 of them. I still plan on cooking them up for broth, but I won't be able to munch them! I didn't find any extra necks, though!

I've brined whatever turkey we got for the last 2 years, also using Alton Brown's recipe.
We also melt butter, add a splash of white wine and garlic, then inject the bird
before cooking.
Hasn't done us wrong yet.
As for brand... price is what I go by. This year I bought the 39-cent-a-pound-with-$25-additional-purchase brand at Krogers.

I've brined whatever turkey we got for the last 2 years, also using Alton Brown's recipe.
We also melt butter, add a splash of white wine and garlic, then inject the bird
before cooking.
Hasn't done us wrong yet.
As for brand... price is what I go by. This year I bought the 39-cent-a-pound-with-$25-additional-purchase brand at Krogers.

I have brined for 7-8 years now. ALWAYS ends up with a much moister meat. And not salty.

The brines I have done have a lot of garlic, herbs and citrus (orange, lemon).

Gotta love osmosis.

I usually by a cheap, but unadulterated with injectable glop, frozen turkey. Last year I had a hard time finding one.

This year the only turkeys I could find that had no 'self basting' substance added were very expensive per pound, organic turkeys. In my small town ordering fresh has been a dicey business... twice I have done this and both times the bird was less that fresh and I'm no longer willing to risk having to scramble to find a replacement.

This year I have two frozen young turkeys with strange extras added before freezing.....

I love America's Test Kitchen and have one of the cookbooks, but somtimes they are a bit over the top. I just checked my cookbook and that method is not in there. Just applying butter under the skin and melted butter over the top before roasting.

I love their recipes, but can agree that at times they can be overly fussy.

I do make their pumpkin cheesecake which involves spreading out the pumpkin on paper towels to get all the excess water out of it, it does produce a great cheesecake with the texture that I have been looking for.

We'll be heading down to our relatives on Thanksgiving Day. Two different types of turkey will be served as usual. One will be the dryer Western style turkey (which I prefer) and the other will be a very wet Central American style turkey with lots of broth.

I'm heading to my folk's place for Thanksgiving, so the kind of turkey I'll be eating... is someone elses! :LOL:

I bought the cheapest frozen closest to 14lb turkey I could find at the grocery store (HEB).. I'll be brining it tonight and rubbing it with the "sticky chicken" spices (makes like a rostiserrie chicken) tomorrow and slow roasting it Thursday. I use Alton Brown's brine, with the addition of orange peels.

Reading everyone's posts here has been so helpful. I ended up getting an all natural Fresh Young Turkey 20lb from Trader Joe's, vegetarian-fed, no antibiotics, that is already brined. I liked Alton Brown's recipe that was posted so I printed it off and will pick up after the brining part and follow it starting with the aromatics. Next year I might brine it myself if this one doesn't meet my expectations.

I learn a lot here in the Discuss Cooking Forum and I thank everyone for being so generous with their time and secrets.

Have a delicious Thanksgiving everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom