Which type of turkey do you prefer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carolelaine

Senior Cook
I read an article last night that said that an organic free range turkey was very superior to fresh, frozen, heritage, or minimally processed turkeys. I've never had a free range turkey. So, I was wondering which kind you guys like better.

I order a bronze, organic turkey from my local butcher. They are bred in Norfolk - and don't seem to mind travelling! This year, I'm having goose, though.

Organic birds are much more expensive - Last year I bought a 13 lb turkey (we only like to eat it on Christmas day with some left over for Boxing Day) and it cost be over 60 pounds sterling.

I'm fairly ignorant as to what 60 pounds sterling would be here, but I thought they were probabally much more expensive. Did it taste that much better?

One of these years I'm going to try a fresh turkey, but we always seem to be invited out for Thanksgiving or are traveling somewhere.

Holy crap! This conversion can't be right. This is what I got...60.00 GBPUnited Kingdom Pounds =113.283 USDUnited States Dollars
WOW!! I tried to post earlier that I'm a cheapo and only buy whatever turkey is on sale at the time I need them. I'd love to try a free range birdy though, as long as I didn't have to pay for it!

I KNOW, Alix..... :ohmy: I nearly had palpitations when I paid that! I was told it would probably cost about 45 quid, which I thought was STEEP - but went ahead... (they could only guestimate, as I had to order it 2 months in advance and the price is set by market forces at the time of purchase!)....

It was a really tasty turkey, but really doubt that it was worth what I paid (although my butcher doesn't overcharge!) - I normally cook a turkey one year, a goose the next - so this year will be a goose, and it'll be a LOT cheaper, cos even as we speak, it's pecking away in a local farmyard!:ROFLMAO:

DS had a heritage turkey (from Whole Foods to boot) a couple of years ago but got over that.
Me, I like the 24#er that is already trying to thaw in my fridge!!

I remember the "free range" turkeys my grandmother used to cook, and they were always dry and a little gamey tasting.
Back when we had a good assortment from our local grocer, there were all kinds to choose from, and I agree that the fresh ones are probably a little better than the frozen.
I just buy whatever's on sale. Several stores have generic brands on sale for .68 a lb. right now. I usually buy a couple 12-13 lb hens and put them in the freezer for later. For Thanksgiving, though I like a 20+ lb tom.
They always turn out delicious. If I do them in the oven, I cook them loosely tented with foil, breast down so the fat from the back drips down over the breast, then turn them over and brown the breast. If the oven is full I put them in the big Hamilton Beach Roaster. Only drawback there is that they actually steam, so you don't get the crispy crust. Kim also cooks turkeys...smoked or deep-fried. Those are very yummy!

I buy whatever is on sale. Turkey is turkey to me. I had the choice to buy "butterball" or generic...whats the differences really beside the price and brand.

Here's the scoop on our turkey this year. One of my husband's patients is killing one and plucking out it's feathers for me to cook! How's that for a FRESH turkey?! She even offered some goat! We may have to go get ourselves a freezer for the garage to store all this meat! Hee hee

I'm just thankful we have food to eat everyday and this Thanksgiving will be a restful one for us after working so hard the last few weeks. I hope everyone has a wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving day. Hugs to you all!

Seems like the megamarts, this time of year, have a variety of turkey brands "on sale" for a variety of prices. Not knowing the difference I try to play the odds by buying the middle priced or next to least expensive "sale priced" turkey. I'm comfortable with the strategy but admit, like all uninformed gambles, it is primarily based on luck.
Will be buying this years bird any day and will follow this thread for information.

I have always gotten a frozen turkey and we have always been happy. I am always afraid that if I wait to get a fresh one they will be out and I won't have time to defrost one. I would love to try a fresh one though. I don't think I am up to paying for an organic one.

Back
Top Bottom