"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Which type of turkey do you prefer?

I read an article last night that said that an organic free range turkey was very superior to fresh, frozen, heritage, or minimally processed turkeys. I've never had a free range turkey. So, I was wondering which kind you guys like better.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I order a bronze, organic turkey from my local butcher. They are bred in Norfolk - and don't seem to mind travelling! This year, I'm having goose, though.

Organic birds are much more expensive - Last year I bought a 13 lb turkey (we only like to eat it on Christmas day with some left over for Boxing Day) and it cost be over 60 pounds sterling.

Old 11-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I'm fairly ignorant as to what 60 pounds sterling would be here, but I thought they were probabally much more expensive. Did it taste that much better?
Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

One of these years I'm going to try a fresh turkey, but we always seem to be invited out for Thanksgiving or are traveling somewhere.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Everymom

Holy crap! This conversion can't be right. This is what I got...60.00 GBPUnited Kingdom Pounds =113.283 USDUnited States Dollars
WOW!! I tried to post earlier that I'm a cheapo and only buy whatever turkey is on sale at the time I need them. I'd love to try a free range birdy though, as long as I didn't have to pay for it!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I KNOW, Alix..... I nearly had palpitations when I paid that! I was told it would probably cost about 45 quid, which I thought was STEEP - but went ahead... (they could only guestimate, as I had to order it 2 months in advance and the price is set by market forces at the time of purchase!)....

It was a really tasty turkey, but really doubt that it was worth what I paid (although my butcher doesn't overcharge!) - I normally cook a turkey one year, a goose the next - so this year will be a goose, and it'll be a LOT cheaper, cos even as we speak, it's pecking away in a local farmyard!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

DS had a heritage turkey (from Whole Foods to boot) a couple of years ago but got over that.
Me, I like the 24#er that is already trying to thaw in my fridge!!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

I remember the "free range" turkeys my grandmother used to cook, and they were always dry and a little gamey tasting.
Back when we had a good assortment from our local grocer, there were all kinds to choose from, and I agree that the fresh ones are probably a little better than the frozen.
I just buy whatever's on sale. Several stores have generic brands on sale for .68 a lb. right now. I usually buy a couple 12-13 lb hens and put them in the freezer for later. For Thanksgiving, though I like a 20+ lb tom.
They always turn out delicious. If I do them in the oven, I cook them loosely tented with foil, breast down so the fat from the back drips down over the breast, then turn them over and brown the breast. If the oven is full I put them in the big Hamilton Beach Roaster. Only drawback there is that they actually steam, so you don't get the crispy crust. Kim also cooks turkeys...smoked or deep-fried. Those are very yummy!

Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I buy whatever is on sale. Turkey is turkey to me. I had the choice to buy "butterball" or generic...whats the differences really beside the price and brand.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Here's the scoop on our turkey this year. One of my husband's patients is killing one and plucking out it's feathers for me to cook! How's that for a FRESH turkey?! She even offered some goat! We may have to go get ourselves a freezer for the garage to store all this meat! Hee hee

I'm just thankful we have food to eat everyday and this Thanksgiving will be a restful one for us after working so hard the last few weeks. I hope everyone has a wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving day. Hugs to you all!

Tags
None