"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

White chicken loaf?

I recently saw a pizzeria owner friend of mine serve someone a donair (well, what he calls a donair at any rate), with sliced, processed chicken. Much like regular beef or lamb donair meat, it was clearly a seasoned "chicken loaf," rather than sliced chicken breast.

He buys it pre cooked and sliced from the food distributor, so he doesn't know how it's made.

Every chicken loaf I've made has come out both brown and extremely crumbly, while the slices he used (which were about 2mm thick) held together as well as a slice of deli meat.

I imagine part of the trick here is the use of ground chicken breast, rather than just ground chicken, but I don't recall ever seeing ground chicken breast in the supermarket, and I'm rather hoping for a less expensive method.

I've been searching the net and can't find anything conclusive. Most recipes don't have pictures, so I'd like to know ahead of time. Does anyone have any experience with something like this they could share with me?

Old 07-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Cook

Hi, I am not sure it is what you are looking for, but I make something similar.

I ground chicken breasts myself with the kitchen robot. I then take a plum cake form, and cover it with bacon (so there should be bacon hanging from the sides). I alternate layers of chicken with cheese, veggies...and end up wrapping it with the bacon slices.

I actually had some recipes I made on my site, but I have not yet translated them to English!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOne View Post
... I imagine part of the trick here is the use of ground chicken breast, rather than just ground chicken, ...
Welcome to the forum, NineOne.

After watching a certain episode of Modern Marvels, I would suspect that unground chicken is used.

Processed turkey, on a large scale, was the marvel I saw being produced. Basically, several turkeys' worth of breast meat treated with a binding solution was compacted into a cooking bag before the bag was sealed. The bag was then pressure-cooked.

Between the binder ingredients and the sealed bag, the individual breast pieces stuck together in one big conglomeration. Pressure-cooking just cooked it faster.

I believe this is the way big slabs of roast beef (like the ones Arby's restaurant slices) are made.

Tom

Tags
None