"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
Master Chef

Yeah, I do sometimes buy an "oven roaster" which is large enough to take the breast off and slice. And Mom taught me the trick: The skin never tastes good leftover, so save it as the cook's reward and eat it yourself while it is still crisp (yes, I, too, do not like flabby skin). I personally do not have a preference white vs dark meat (and LOVE duck. Haven't done one in years because I do not have a stove fan, so only will cook a whole duck outside)(do you know how smoky your kitchen gets when the fat starts to sizzle?). But a regular sized chicken? I can only have one guest at a time unless I know the guest eats dark meat! And, yes, I have bought boneless, skinless, frozen breasts (I usually have some in the freezer) and thrown a couple in halfway through the cooking. So I've actually managed to make a chicken with a few breasts. The smart guests grab the meat off the whole chicken roasted on its bones under the skin! But when mentioning particular products, you have to realize some of us have more limited choices. Mine are Piggly-Wiggly and Wal-Mart. I suppose, given the number of farms around here, I might be able to poach one!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Cook

I think it is ingrained into our brains from a young age to like so called white meat. I too thought for many years that I onlhy liked the white meat.
Then a chain of rottiserie restuarants here came about and I would order the 1/4 chicken dinner with a leg and realized.... This tastes better than white meat....it has flavour and it's juicy.

I still like the breast but a leg is nice too!!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
Everymom

Claire, I wasn't suggesting that you need to change the kind of chicken you buy, I hope I didn't give that impression. I was just trying to clarify that the ones I use are likely quite different from the ones you get and my solution might not be a fit for you.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Wink

here's what i do from time-to-time. place stuffing in a buttered casserole. layer cuts of chicken on top. bake.

positive points - everyone gets what they want; by cutting along the bone of the thigh & opening out the upper part of the leg, the leg cooks in the same time as the breast,, so you get a juicier breast; all juices go into stuffing; no messy left-overs/ carcass.

negative points - not as nice looking, presentation-wise; no pan juices for gravy; sometimes exposed edges of cuts not covered all the way by skin, but these can be covered by a strip of bacon, celery, etc.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
LOL. I'm sure they run around in the yard saying BUCK BUCK BUCK in a very deep voice too.
With an Austrian accent.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
With an Austrian accent.
LMAO!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
Master Chef

I prefer dark meat on turkeys but I will eat dark and white on chickens.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Everyone in my household prefers white meat. I've taken just to buying frozen breasts of chicken or turkey. No sense in having someone feel left out.

I do buy leg/thigh quarters for making stock though.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Sigh, if all those "white only" people knew all the chicky flavor was in the delectable dark meat I wouldn't get any. I also carve a roast chicken for company, just like a turkey. No sense in those "white only" people being piggy about a big hunk of breast. If there's not enough for them, there are always lots of side dishes. Nobody ever leaves here hungry.
Besides, try to remember that your guests are there to spend time with you, and you with them, the food is a an extra labor of love. To me, that's the real secret of sharing a home cooked meal.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Can you fit two pans in your oven? Why not roast two chickens? You can freeze whatever is left to make stock, soups, chicken salad, chicken tacos, enchiladas or, my favorite, chicken with cornbread dressing. I personally don't like dark meat very much, but the left over dark meat, layered into the dressing I find to be divine! If you do two at a time you get more bang for your buck when it comes to the cost of heating up your oven. I think about that sort of thing a lot because our oven is so large. I would rather have two small ones!!

Tags
None