White meat only - anyone else have this problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite is dark thigh. For its flavor, for its crispy-on-the-outside and juicy-fat-on-the-inside skin, for its "oyster," and for the surgical ritual it takes to consume one. Others have their own favorite cut for equally good reasons. Fortunately most people in my dinner guest list, I think, don't have chicken parts that they hate and will not eat. The skin issue polls about 50/50, so it doesn't bother me if removed and discarded.

Where did the neck go? Does anyone know a farmer that breeds 3-headed chickens?

i like dark mean on turkey and on chicken. have only served two guests a roasted chicken. they can have all the breast they want. i tried to buy a turkey breast to do for sandwiches but to much sodium. so ordered two turkey thighs. will bake one at a time for me. i can't eat a whole roasted anything by my self.

I must be confused. So you're upset that no one wants to eat the dark meat? Or that you're not the one getting the white meat? As hostess I'm sure you would give your guests their preference.
If you 8 way a chicken, two people get a half a breast a piece. Two get a thigh a piece and two a leg a piece. That is, if they all eat as you want them too. That leaves 2 wings to be divided between the other guests. I would guess the leg people because chicken legs aren't very big. Plus wings are considered white meat.
And when they toss away the skin just think how much longer they can be there to be your friend since they're trying to eat healthy. If it bothers you that you worked so hard on it, take a picture of it.

Kathleen, if you "8-way" a chicken as you described, your friends who get stuck with a wing as their piece are surely getting shortchanged! Halving the breast results in two pieces so large most adults cannot finish them, and the meat gets tossed with the trash. Try carving out the wishbone first, then halving the breast (leaving the wing attached) and dividing each half so there's about the same amount of meat on each piece. This gives you FIVE generous pieces of white meat instead of four unevenly sized ones... Just a thought. :)

I don't eat the dark meat or the skin. If it is just my immediate family I know what they like and just make sure there is enough of each. Dh likes the dark and the skin, but doesn't eat the skin because of cholesterol, so I remove it after roasting or broiling and before frying.

Sadly I just got the news my "chicken lady" has passed away. Her daughter is going to take over, but needs some time (obviously) to get things together. That might mean REALLY big chickens by the time they get slaughtered.

Back
Top Bottom