White or dark meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I fixed a simple chicken dish last night that I have been making since I was 18 years old. I used to cut up whole chickens, but in the last 20 years, I've used chicken breasts, usually bone-in, because that's what my husband likes. All the dish involves is putting chicken in a baking dish, sprinkling with pepper, and spreading a can of undiluted Golden Mushroom soup over the top. Cover and bake at 350 or so until tender. Add vegetables in with the chicken for a one dish meal.

I had been craving chicken, but yesterday when I went to the deep freeze, the first thing I came to was a bag with 3 huge leg quarters, and I didn't feel like digging deeper.
I fixed the dish the same way as usual, pretty much. I did have to use 2 cansThe potatoes cooked under the chicken, so they could soak up the juices, and about the last half hour of cooking, I added a can of drained mushrooms, and a can of drained Allen's Kentucky Wonder Beans.

Kim said it was by far the best I'd every fixed that dish. My girlfriend ate with us, and had two plates full (she's a white meat eater, also).

So, my question is this: Have any of you white meat eaters ever tried dark meat?

Last edited:
I really enjoy both white and dark. When I do a whole chicken, I start with a breast and a thigh. Never mind where I stop.

Constance said:
So, my question is this: Have any of you white meat eaters ever tried dark meat?
I used to think I hated dark chicken meat. The reason was it was occasionally undercooked, for my taste at least. Breasts get so dry and rubbery if over cooked that the cooks in my youth tended to undercook the rest of the bird.

I really enjoy the flavor that cooking with real chicken pieces give a dish, but I still cannot eat chicken thighs. I prefer breasts, but will eat a drumstick in a pinch.

Now that's funny, I wouldn't eat a drumstick but love thighs and breasts. It just depends on what I'm cooking that makes me choose.

I think I really prefer dark meat but I cook it so long that I can take the sections off w/o having to deal with the tendons and ligaments *shudder*.

Breasts are just so easy to use that I usually use those for expediency.

I used to only eat dark meat. Now I prefer white (if it is cooked right), but I still love dark as well.

Also prefer thighs, but usually use the drumsticks for stock.

Not very long ago could often find hindquarters at 29 cents a pound. Would separate the thighs for cooking and make a great stock, broth, or soup from the drumsticks.

Breasts to me are best with the bone in because it keeps them moist and they are not as easy to overcook.

Usually tear down a chicken myself because of all the good parts that can be put into the stock pot.

I've always liked the dark meat better. It seems more flavorful and moist to me.

I like dark meat for longer cooking dishes (like stew, chicken 'n rice, etc) - I think the dark meat stands up better to longer cooking and it has more flavor. For a quick sautee or stir fry, where the flavors are more delicate, I go for white meat.

auntdot said:
Also prefer thighs, but usually use the drumsticks for stock...Not very long ago could often find hindquarters at 29 cents a pound. Would separate the thighs for cooking and make a great stock, broth, or soup from the drumsticks.
I do the same thing! Those packages make great chicken stock. Wish I could find them at 29 cents per pound - even on sale the cheapest I can find them now is 50 cents a pound.

Believe it or not, the first thing I go for are the wings. Of course, I don't like them dry or over cooked, but when they are cooked right, yum.:rolleyes:

If chicken is fried or roasted, I love the wings and legs, theighs the best. If making a next day sandwich with chicken or turkey, I like the white meat sliced thin and on bread with butter, mayo and cranberry sauce..I like the looks of the white in a pot pie and soup, but for me the dark has the most flavor and moistness.

kadesma:cool:

My first pick would be the dark meat - then it would be bone-in white - then if it's boneless skinless I prefer it pounded out as in a marsala dish.

My favorite all-time part is the oysters on the back, which are dark.

kadesma said:
If chicken is fried or roasted, I love the wings and legs, theighs the best. If making a next day sandwich with chicken or turkey, I like the white meat sliced thin and on bread with butter, mayo and cranberry sauce..I like the looks of the white in a pot pie and soup, but for me the dark has the most flavor and moistness.

kadesma:cool:
I feel the same and eat these the same -more flavor!

I've always prefered the dark meat. First, there's more fat so it's juicier, and second, there's almost always a bone to gnaw on.

kitchenelf said:
My first pick would be the dark meat - then it would be bone-in white - then if it's boneless skinless I prefer it pounded out as in a marsala dish.

My favorite all-time part is the oysters on the back, which are dark.

I never tell anyone about the oysters in the back...there are only two..and if I say anything, everyone will want one:-p

i like both white and dark. certain dishes just work better with one or the other. sometimes all white is just too bland and dry. sometimes, dark meat would just be too greasy.

Back
Top Bottom