"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
Head Chef

Due to a recent lip-smacking photo of a pork pot roast in another thread, I think Christmas this year will be pork. I've never seen fresh duckling, only frozen, down here, a few of which seem to be available all year -- am thinking maybe Easter Quacker.

I have an unopened jar of duck fat in the pantry, saved for something special - don't know what.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It is a great page for duck.

And if I get confused with Andy, well.. that's ok.. except for him maybe.

Claire,

Our kitchen has horrendous ventilation, just a wall mounted exhaust fan that I think make more noise than it moves air.

The duck doesn't smoke us out, we don't get any smoking from it at all as far as I can tell. You might be surprised and be ok.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I have no exh fan and did not notice any smoke either. Maybe if some of the fat had spilled with all that flipping, but none from the sheet pan the fat was collecting in.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm curious: would duckling be well out of season in the fall/winter? in other words, and not to disparage, would it be frozen duckling?
As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "oh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Vit we are booked into the Bombay Dynasty on the 25th for their boss Indian Buffet, they have a branch in Hollywood Calif.
I love to cook and eat duck, my fav way at present is BBQ Attachment 12542
oh bolas, your golden grilled duckling is always a sight to behold! i've never had bbq duck. i bet it is wonderful that way though--crispy, smoky, moist dark meat wonderful. is there a way for you to catch any of the duck fat when it is cooked on the grill?

your xmas at the bombay dynasty sounds like a great plan. i hope you enjoy the indian cuisine and have yourselves a wonderful holiday time, bolas!!

nothing puts me in the mood for duck so much as your gorgeous birds on the grill, bolas!! (last year, there were two of them, i recall:) )
Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "okh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.
thanks steve. i can see getting fresh, full grown beasts at this time of year, but i wondered how they get ducklings in winter.

vit, i used to breed small parrots (keets, conures, etc.), but all i did was provide a nest box and a special diet. the birds did the rest, lol. but it definitely was influenced by light cycles, temp, and other natural factors.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "oh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.
What butcher do you go to?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What butcher do you go to?
For fancy holiday roasts, I usually go to Clanceys in Linden Hills. They're expensive, but they can get almost anything you want: lamb, duck, goose, bison, rabbit. The butcher case looks like art. I also go to Hackenmueller's in Robbinsdale sometimes. Good selection of beef, pork, chicken, and sausages made in their own smokehouse. Prices are pretty good, too.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
just wondering...how many of us are planning to include a roast duckling in our holiday plans?
I'll be cooking one on the rotisserie soon. It makes the whole house smell sooooo good!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I'll be cooking one on the rotisserie soon. It makes the whole house smell sooooo good!

every friday, whole foods (in our area) features a rotisserie duckling with black cherry sauce. just marvelous!!

Tags
cooking, other