"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 02-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
what's that chef name? Yang or something? Yang can cook show. On the show he would recomend to buy the hole chicken and cut it at home. he would also show how it is done and how fast. I do no remember exactly, but for sure he'd do it in under a minute.
Martin Yan can cut up anything real fast.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I cut my own...make stock with the backs necks etc. It's part of my knife skills maintanence program...I use a cleaver. One of my chef instructors at the Culinary is the Asian chef...she can take a chicken from living to served in 4 minutes or less...I've heard she could do it in 3!

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
To add to Andy's post, here is a video

Basic cut-up chicken and Spatchcocking combined*

Video of chicken cutting

* the quality of this video has been decreased for broadcast over the internet. The full video on DVD is of a better quality. Thanks for your understanding.
Very nice. Thanks for posting that.
I don't like handling raw poultry, but I just might give that a try and become accustomed to it. The gloves were a nice touch, too.

Are poultry scissors the same as kitchen scissors?
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
Master Chef
I was not that impresed with chicken cutting. The first thing one should not do is to wash chicken anyway.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #15
Master Chef
I had to teach myself to cut up a chicken when I was a young bride. Back then, I could get small whole chickens on sale for 25 cents a lb. We were poor, so we ate a lot of chicken.
You can feel your way through most of it. I remembered my grandma's fried chicken, and what the pieces looked like, and had no problem until I got to the breast. Grandma cut her chicken breasts into three pieces, and I didn't know how to do that.
I went to the neighbor lady for advice, and she said just take a sharp knife, stick it in the bone, and cut it right down the middle.

I later found out how Grandma got three pieces out of the breast; The first, and best piece is the pulley bone (wish bone), which is surrounded with the prime white meat. Find the v-shaped bone, and cut that portion out.
Once the pulley bone is removed, cut the remaining portion in half, right through that gristle in the middle. It's very easy then to remove that gristle, if you want.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
Head Chef
Yes Charlie, I remember Martin Yan cutting up a chicken in gosh, thirty seconds or so. I got a cleaver and could do it in about two minutes. It was a bunch of fun.

That was a great video Ask-A-Chef - unfortunately I can only get dial up and it took half a week to load, but it was worth it.

But there are other ways to cut up a chicken. If you want the half breasts with the wing attached and the legs and thighs together as separate pieces it is a fairly quick process.

Actually I prefer the half breast with bone and keel with skin to the boneless, skinless breasts that are so popular today.

They seem to have so much more flavor.

Anyway the way to learn to cut up fowl is to watch someone else do it - I learned as a kid in a supermarket before they put me to work doing it. It was against the union but the butcher needed the help and heck, I was only a kid.

Look at some videos or on TV. And look at the bird. Move the leg. You will get an idea where the leg and thigh are attached to the bird. Cut through the flesh. You will find a bone and socket joint. Aim through the space between the two bones of the joint and you will have separated the two. Finish off cutting the meat.

The breast is a bit touger so look at videos.

But cutting up a chicken is a cooking technique that once leaned you will find very useful.

And it leaves a lot of chicken for stock.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
Thanks for all the replies. Really interesting information!
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #18
Master Chef
Aundot, speaking of the half breast with the bone atached. That is the exact piece one should use for chicken Kiev, unlike some ground meat kutlets in frozen section.
You are what you eat.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Lately at the bigger stores here I have a harder time finding a whole chicken than a cut up one. If they do have sime they are all 3 lbs. How does one feed a family of 5 with a 3 lb chicken? At super WalMart I have better luck, they have 4-5 lb whole chickens there, and usually much cheaper than the others.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #20
Master Chef
I hate those pigion size chickens. Nothing like a good 5-6 pounds roaster.

You are what you eat.