"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Coolness, I`m with you now ;)

Jeeks yeah I do that flattening out and BBQ too, it`s fantastic!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #32
Executive Chef

YT, I can think of over 25 basic chicken saute recipes requiring chicken parts ( from wine herbs and butter to lardon and tomatoes to a classic caciatore or a cream and dill Moscow.) I like meat on the bone for better flavor, and it is cheaper to cut up your own.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

robo, you're making me jones for chicken au vin.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
robo, you're making me jones for chicken au vin.
Bucky,
I take it French isn't your native tongue?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, mozart.

q sarah sarah.

one should not use certain terms, umm, willy nilly shall we say?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #36
Executive Chef

suziequzie, just wait until your kids get older. In my house, I have 5 kids ranging in ages from 3 - 13, and 3 adults (myself included). If I want to cook roast chicken, I have to cook AT LEAST two 5 - 6 lb birds. Even that is cutting it fine. I would actually have to cook a small turkey, about 13 lbs or so, to guarantee everyone gets fed.

I actually buy chicken in the 10 lb bag of leg-and-thigh quarters, which around here costs $4.79 + tax for the bag. 47 cent / lb + tax is a pretty good buy, as far as I'm concerned. I'll split each 10 lb bag into two 5 lb bags of parts, freeze them, and defrost them as needed. Of course, now that my MIL is back living with us, grilling/baking chicken for that many people, even 5 lbs of parts isn't enough to satisfy everyone, but for a casserole, pot pie, etc., it's plenty. If I smoke the chicken, I'll do an entire 10 lb bag, as the kids just can't get enough of my smoked chicken (neither can I, really).

I will buy breasts on occasion, to please my other half, as she doesn't really care for dark meat (but absolutely goes nuts for what I cook, go figure).

I've done the buy whole chickens and cut into parts bit, back when I was single. Yes, it's a good idea to learn good knife skills, and to keep those skills (and knives) sharp.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Executive Chef

or just being precise because one can't find coq easily in the US (old rooster isn't what Perdue is famous for!)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Ming Tsai also has a video on how to break down a chicken that I thought was pretty straight forward: http://www.ming.com/simplyming/video...g_chicken.html

I can break down a chicken pretty quick but I sometimes buy drumstick packages for certain dishes.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
suziequzie, just wait until your kids get older. In my house, I have 5 kids ranging in ages from 3 - 13, and 3 adults (myself included). If I want to cook roast chicken, I have to cook AT LEAST two 5 - 6 lb birds. Even that is cutting it fine. I would actually have to cook a small turkey, about 13 lbs or so, to guarantee everyone gets fed.

I actually buy chicken in the 10 lb bag of leg-and-thigh quarters, which around here costs $4.79 + tax for the bag. 47 cent / lb + tax is a pretty good buy, as far as I'm concerned. I'll split each 10 lb bag into two 5 lb bags of parts, freeze them, and defrost them as needed. Of course, now that my MIL is back living with us, grilling/baking chicken for that many people, even 5 lbs of parts isn't enough to satisfy everyone, but for a casserole, pot pie, etc., it's plenty. If I smoke the chicken, I'll do an entire 10 lb bag, as the kids just can't get enough of my smoked chicken (neither can I, really).

I will buy breasts on occasion, to please my other half, as she doesn't really care for dark meat (but absolutely goes nuts for what I cook, go figure).

I've done the buy whole chickens and cut into parts bit, back when I was single. Yes, it's a good idea to learn good knife skills, and to keep those skills (and knives) sharp.
I can hardly wait.
My 8 yr old is already to a point where he'd eat a whole roasted chicken if I let him, ok maybe half.... but he'd try for whole!
None of us really like dark meat, 'cept the kids that just like to eat the legs. I think thats got more to do with the bone than the meat though.
5 kids! Whew I'm glad I'm done, I'd be even more
Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
5 Kids, I`m jealous!

I`de love to have more, but it seems father Time will not allow for this, I`d be quite happy sticking in a few chickens into the oven for them, it must be great :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None