Whole chicken on grill question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the advise. It went well. I should of taking it off a little sooner, but it was still juicy enough. Any longer and it would of been dry.

but all and all, it worked out great, cooked it on the side that was not lit. i think it took a little over an hour and it was about 5 lbs. It was a small one.

Actually - that's a pretty hefty chicken. I consider a 2-1/2 to 3-pounder average; 5-7 pounds is a roaster. But regardless - glad it turned out well for you. :)

... ...the reason it's recommended is to create an oven, so the outside of your food doesnt burn before the inside is cooked ...

Ok, now this make complete sense. The thing is that this applies when food you are cooking is large in size. Creating oven so do speak is needed in that case, but if you are making a hamburger or a small chicken as in this case I do not recomend using of the lid.
And if one needs oven to cook something then maybe oven should be used. Because to me grill is really not an oven, but again it is just my opinion.

Ok, now this make complete sense. The thing is that this applies when food you are cooking is large in size. Creating oven so do speak is needed in that case, but if you are making a hamburger or a small chicken as in this case I do not recomend using of the lid.
And if one needs oven to cook something then maybe oven should be used. Because to me grill is really not an oven, but again it is just my opinion.

Yes but this outdoor oven can also smoke meats! I don't think that this is something that I would try in my kitchen;)

I can also put a pizza stone on my grill grates and turn my grill into a pizza oven, it gets almost 200 degrees hotter than my kitchen range. This is great for pizza.

Oooh - thanks for the idea! I recently bought a pizza stone & peel for my husband for Fathers Day from the furred & feathered "kids". Will definitely have to try this with it.

Oooh - thanks for the idea! I recently bought a pizza stone & peel for my husband for Fathers Day from the furred & feathered "kids". Will definitely have to try this with it.

I like this method because it is able to get the stone hotter than the oven. the pizza cooks in about 3 minutes giving the crust a nice char. These are the last pizzas that I cooked this way.
SG1L3243.JPG

SG1L3249.JPG

I actually have made pizzas on my charcoal grill before, but not using a pizza stone. Used a large metal pizza pan that had lots of 1/4" holes perforating it. I have to admit that it made quite a decent pie - those holes allowed the direct heat of the charcoal to crisp up that crust from the bottom very nicely.

I actually have made pizzas on my charcoal grill before, but not using a pizza stone. Used a large metal pizza pan that had lots of 1/4" holes perforating it. I have to admit that it made quite a decent pie - those holes allowed the direct heat of the charcoal to crisp up that crust from the bottom very nicely.

I've never used a stone on the grill either Breezy, I just throw it on the grate, it's gets wonderfully crispy and I love the grill marks on it... :)

I really need to grill a pizza right on the grates, something that I have never tried. My method came about in the quest for a really good traditional pizza, and when I realized that my grill got up to 700, the light bulb went on in my head, which is good, I feared that it had burned out.

Haven't tried it on a charcoal grill. How does it taste like? Does it have that smoky taste?

Yes - but not so smoky that it overpowers the ingredients. You do have to keep a close eye on it, but it doesn't take very long so that's not much of a hardship.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom