"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Head Chef

Whole chicken on grill question

I cut the back bone out and flattened a small "whole" chicken. I was reading some advise on making sure you keep the grill lid on and to watch out for flare-ups.

I'm a little confused by this. Things cook very fast on my grill - even on the low settings. I see flare ups all the time when I'm cooking things. Heck, I have to watch hotdogs like a hawk or the skin will get burnt.

I'm getting skeptical about trying this grilling a chicken.

Mary

Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Head Chef

Leaving the lid on will prevent flareups. If you are worried, do it over indirect heat, put the coals on one side, chicken on the other.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Leaving the lid on will prevent flareups. If you are worried, do it over indirect heat, put the coals on one side, chicken on the other.
there are no coals. Its some grill my husband bought a few years ago. It's looks big, although I'm sure it's not the biggest grill ou there. You hit the ignite button.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Head Chef

Can you adjust the burners for indirect heat, or set it on low? Do you leave the lid up when you grill?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Head Chef

I try to shut it when I can. I know I have to be real careful with hot-dogs though, because if I leave them in there for too long - the outside will get all burnt.

There is a low setting and I usually cook everything on that low setting - although to me it seems high, but maybe that's because it's a grill.

I'm guess I'm afraid I'm going to throw my chicken on it, close the grill and before its' cooked through the skin will get black and burnt.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Large grills have three or four burners. Don't light all the burners. Light those on one side and put the chicken on the other side. There is probably a thermometer that will tell you what temperature it is inside. Use it like an oven.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Large grills have three or four burners. Don't light all the burners. Light those on one side and put the chicken on the other side. There is probably a thermometer that will tell you what temperature it is inside. Use it like an oven.
I always wondered if things will cook on the side you don't have lit. I was cooking some turkey burgers and hot dogs on it the other day. I was For some reason one side of the grill didn't light and I needed the whole grill for the amount I was cooking. My dad was over and I said, I wonder if they will still cook even though there is no direct heat. He (not exactly a big cook), so no way, you have to have it lit for it to cook.

I will try that I think, cook it on the side that is not lit. I wonder how long I'm dealing with here. I think it's 5lbs. I have the thermometers you put in the chicken, not sure about a general oven thermometer. I did have one at one time, but not sure where it is now. I'll have to peek through my kitchen.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Head Chef

ummmm, that's called indirect heat.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Is there a thermometer in the lid of the grill? That will tell you the 'oven' temperature - the temp under the lid. That should be between 350 F and 400 F.

A meat thermometer to measure the temperature in the meat will also be useful to be sure it's cooked. That temp should be 165 F. Make sure to check in several different parts of the chicken, especially the thighs and breasts.

Depending on the temperature of the grill, it could take about an hour and a half.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
ummmm, that's called indirect heat.
ya makes sense...I'm slow I guess. LOL

Tags
None