"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Whole Chickens

Anybody buy more than one chicken at a time and have to cut them up? I guess I am just dreading doing all that dividing and packing. AmI the only one who feels this way? Overwhelmed? Better do something quick cause I don't have them in freezer. You can only keep them in fridge for 3 days right? When they are on sale you don't think about the work.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Head Chef

actually never bothers me. though it could be because I used to work at a meat market. :)

Though I usually only buy whole chickens if I am poaching or roasting whole. Other than that, I get the frozen parts from Trader Joes.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
Master Chef

Though pre-cut is easier, the whole chickens stay fresher, longer. You are doing the right thing by your family when purchasing whole chickens. Plus, when you take it a step further and bone the birds, you have the skins and carcasses to flavor stocks and gravies.

I like to purchase whole chickens rather than their pre-processed cousins. It's more work, but is worth it IMHO. :D

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Wow! Just what I needed! Encourgement!! I can go in the kitchen and defeat that job. Thanks. Truly lets me know if I want the best I have to do more. Just having so many of them at once, just looks like I won't get it done quick enough. Would you call this anxiety? If I had to do for living, would get old fast. Thank you both so much for your time and most of all understanding. You have made my day.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
Senior Cook

if you don't have a freezer, you better start cooking. i don't know how many chickens you bought but this may be an opportunity to make a bunch of home-made tv dinners. go to wal-mart and buy those disposable plastic containers with 3 compartments and make a whole bunch of different recipes.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A sharp knife certainly makes it easier but I find it intriquing finding all those perfect spots to cut through. You can do it!!!! And why not keep just 1 of them whole? Just stick it in the fridge when you're ready to thaw it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

You all ARE helping! Guess it is true more heads are better than one! Do appreciate it. You probably have been here before that is why the response. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
Senior Cook

for the record, how many did you buy and what was the price? we pay .67/lb at wal-mart here.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeandy
for the record, how many did you buy and what was the price? we pay .67/lb at wal-mart here.
okay, you beat me. Where yours on sale price? Normally these chickens over dollar something. Our Wal Mart doesn't have grocery store. I bought six. What I like is have the backs for soup.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Cook

believe it or not, the price has been .67/lb at wal-mart for years. that's almost free although i can't remember EVER paying $1.00/lb. these are fryers i'm talking about. the big roasters are a different story.

Tags
None