"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good recipe for a whole chicken. I typically just bake it with salt pepper and butter. and looking to try something new. any suggestions?

Old 08-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Master Chef

Lightly rub the chicken skin with olive oil. Season your chicken well with coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a bit of paprika. Take a whole lemon and cut into quarters. Stuff the lemon, some fresh thyme and rosemary and about 4 whole garlic cloves up the cavity of the bird. Cut 2 large peeled onions into thick even slices. Place the onion flat on your roasting tray and place chicken on top. Roast as always.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Oh, my! Whole roasted chicken is nectar of the gods.

My husband loves it when I slather the outside with olive oil, generously salt and pepper it (using freshly ground black pepper), then loosen the skin all over the breast and slip sprigs of fresh rosemary, butter cubes and garlic slices under it. I usually add several rosemary sprigs and some peeled cloves of garlic to the cavity, too. It's too delicious and the house smells divine as it's cooking. Add some roasted potatoes and steamed fresh green beans and you have a meal that's excellent.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Snips is my favorite recipe. Depending on the size of the chicken, I sometimes don't bother to cut up the lemon (just pierce it a lot). Snip, you and I,. cooking wise, might be twins separated at birth. I might add, a really great accompanyment to this is couscous with a cucumber/yogrurt/mint salad, or on a hot summer day taboule. The lemon/herb that is in the roast chicken is just lovely with either, and the roast chicken can be served hot or cold. If you don't want leftovers, or want a different presentation when serving for guests, you can roast several (or one) cornish game hen with half a lemon in each. On the other end, you can roast a small turkey , just add more lemons. this is my go-to when I have to make dinner for guests, and it always gets raves!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Snip, you and I,. cooking wise, might be twins separated at birth.
Must be Take a guess what I serve mine with? Couscous flavoured with lemon and a fresh salad of cucumber and tomato with sour cream! Very close to yours. It's also good with some grilled or steamed asparagus, tender stemmed broccoli courgettes and a lemon vinegarette.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks for the tip. I'm a novice at flavoring roasted chickens. I used to have 2 of these roaster chicken stands, but lost or tossed them. I wish I hadn't. I had to order from England for what I used to see on store shelves. I like these because they are free standing chicken roaster stands. Also, I like that stand for cornish game hens, and using them for BBQ'ing chickens.

The only others I could find were ones that needed the drip pan attached. These used to be everywhere, but not anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	11799  
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe?

My favourite way of cooking a whole chicken is to add sage leaves and cinnamon, potatoes, carrots and onions (in last). I love the way these flavours gel together in the end. Finally I make a stuffing, gravy and nice fresh tomato and cucumber salad. A bit of Greek yogurt on the side is the cherry on top for me. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I generally follow Snip's method as well. I will occasionally substitute oranges for lemons and also slide slices of orange under the skin along with some chunks of butter.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I generally follow Snip's method as well. I will occasionally substitute oranges for lemons and also slide slices of orange under the skin along with some chunks of butter.
Lol! I do it with oranges too sometimes but then I also stud the orange with a few cloves and rub the skin with Brandy!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I also use Snip's method adding garlic clove and powder. We love garlic :). Sometimes I will sub an orange for the lemon.

Tags
chicken, other, recipe

Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe? I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good recipe for a whole chicken. I typically just bake it with salt pepper and butter. and looking to try something new. any suggestions? 3 stars 1 reviews