Why no smaller chicken breasts now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
So. Calif. Both Vons and Albertsons and Ralphs all only carry the huge half chicken breasts. Man, these are way too huge for b-b-q. (Foster Farms).
Whatever happened to the packs of 2 regular sized breasts I used to buy?

There IS one brand that has the smaller sized breasts, but those are chickens that I won't buy. The meat has the texture of tofu and is as tasteless. I don't know what those kinds of chicken are fed, but wow...blubber chicken.

i don't like them either. now it is starting to happen with thighs, mostly the ones in bag. i don't care for the flavor either. so i buy the least expensive ones packaged by the store. just ordered chicken tenders to avoid the over sized breasts. a lot of people think that big is better. not so in this case. maybe enough people complained to butcher, they might make the smaller ones available.

I too wish for smaller bone in breasts. The ones that my grocer carries are HUGE! I bet if you went into a place like whole foods, that you could find smaller breasts that actually have some flavor.

It could be that the chicken was once a whole roaster. Those can weigh up to 6 pounds. The chances that it could be a Capon is slim. Maybe that's a good thing. ;)

If you want top quality chicken find a butcher. You might pay a little more for it, but they know how that chickens been raised and with what.If anything.

You can still grill-bbq them.
Butterfly the breasts. Tenderize. Season up and cook.
They won't take as long to cook as the whole breast would.

Munky.

I've stopped buying the giant Pamela Anderson chicken at my local grocers. It reached the point where I was butterflying chicken breasts for every recipe (and butterflying butterflied breasts for dishes like piccata).

Bigger doesn't always mean better. Most mass-market chicken farms are disgraceful in their operation to boot.

Started buying from a local farm that sells eggs in addition to chicken. They are comparable in price to our local supermarket, they taste much better, and all it involves is a peaceful ride down a back road now and then.

I'm actually thinking about raising my own in a few years.

How funny to see this thread today. We're making a grilled chicken pesto tonight that called for four bone-in, skin-on breasts. Not only are the FF ones gigantic, but of course they come packaged three to a pack...undoubtedly to make me buy two packs. I will freeze two of the breasts, but it's still annoying. Maybe next time I'll try Whole Foods.

oh come on now! Those mutant monster chicken parts have flavor!

THEY REALLY DO HAVE FLAVOR! I PROMISE! IT IS TRUE!!

BECAUSE THEY ARE INJECTED WITH UP TO 18% BROTH AND FLAVORINGS!!!!

Says so right on the package. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
(Course, if you boil the meat it becomes rubbery, no matter how you do it. )

oh come on now! Those mutant monster chicken parts have flavor!

THEY REALLY DO HAVE FLAVOR! I PROMISE! IT IS TRUE!!

BECAUSE THEY ARE INJECTED WITH UP TO 18% BROTH AND FLAVORINGS!!!!

Says so right on the package. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
(Course, if you boil the meat it becomes rubbery, no matter how you do it. )

Not the Foster Farm breasts I have in my refrigerator right now. They have nothing added.

Foster Farms : Poultry FAQs : Product Quality

They're breeding chickens to have larger breasts because so many people only eat the white meat. Have you ever bought the leg & thigh portions you can buy by the bag for 49 cents a pound? Some are very deformed. Have this mental picture of what those chickens must look like with deformed legs and huge breasts.

This time I bought the IQF breasts (just way to convenient NOT to have on hand) and realized that in order to get the weight on the label I got a portion of a half of a breast. In truth, it worked well for me. A lot of these breast portions are so huge that one will do for both of us for dinner if it is something like a stir fry or anything sliced/chopped/diced in a sauce. Sometimes it is a two are too many, one not enough situation, and that piece of chicken that isn't an entire portion is good.

I've lived in a small town for ten years now, so sometimes don't know what is available any more. I used to be able to buy bags that were smaller breasts or ones that were larger.

they've done to chickens what they did to turkeys...breed for big breasts and so big they can't walk around.

I buy local chickens and cut them up myself. You only want white meat? you can make broth or stock from the rest. No reason to waste anything.

Back
Top Bottom