"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

I love the flats and crispy wing tips.

I picked up more wings this morning at the 'sale' price of $2.24/lb. I've got just over 10 lbs worth to grill for this Sunday.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I love the flats too and since TB likes the drumettes, we get along fine!

Chief, your wings sound mighty tasty!

I have developed a recipe that we love. I make it with all-purpose gluten free flour, but regular flour is fine too.

2 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp each salt and pepper

coat 2 lbs of wings with this mixture and marinate covered, overnight in the fridge or on the counter for a half hour or so.

dredge in 1 cup flour (I actually just pour the flour over them in the bowl and mix them up by hand. It works great with GF flour)

Lay wings on an oiled cookie sheet and spray (recommended) or drizzle with oil. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, turn over, and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until done.

These wings are not too hot and really crispy good.
LP, your recipe reminds me of one of my own - Smoldering Chicken. It's spicier though, and is cooked on the grill with no breading or dredging in flour. It too uses a marinade to produce its flavor, but in meaty chicken thighs.

Your recipe sounds great to me. DW coudln't eat them though with her sensitivity to spicy-hot foods. I could use a different marinade for her, and yours for mine. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for sharing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

I have a jar of Buffalo Wing Sauce Seasoning from Savory Spice Shop that I use for roasted hot wings.

I just toss in light olive oil and the seasoning, then roast on a sheet pan in the oven at 375° F for about 45 minutes. Easy and not as messy as normally sauced wings.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I can't stand hot wings unless they are double-deep-fried. DOUBLE. You fry them once, remove, then fry again. I'm not sure of the exact sequence. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone here knows exactly how to do them that way and would be willing to share the knowledge.
That and potato skins. The only way I know to make them at home is to roast them, and they're nowhere near as good as if you deep fry them and then fill and finish in the oven. Again - I don't know exactly how that is best done. So 'Skins Instructions would also be muchly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #15
Master Chef

Will this help you, KB? The secret to great buffalo wings

Let us know how it turns out, if you try it. Samples to all of us here would be nice, too, but that is a lot of mailing!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Total alternative to spicy hot wings.

Pier 66 Wings
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
I can't stand hot wings unless they are double-deep-fried. DOUBLE. You fry them once, remove, then fry again. I'm not sure of the exact sequence. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone here knows exactly how to do them that way and would be willing to share the knowledge.
That and potato skins. The only way I know to make them at home is to roast them, and they're nowhere near as good as if you deep fry them and then fill and finish in the oven. Again - I don't know exactly how that is best done. So 'Skins Instructions would also be muchly appreciated.
Here is the answer to both your questions.

Potato Skins | The Pioneer Woman

You can find any recipe on line if you just Google it.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
We "bake" the potatoes in the microwave. When they are cool enough to handle, we cut them in half, scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/8" in the skin. The flesh can be riced and used for potato pancakes or gnocchi etc. The skins are deep fried in vegi oil until crispy and removed to drain, skin side up on paper towels. They get stuffed with what ever mixture you want. The stuffing has to include cheese! They go back into a 350F oven until the cheese is nice and bubbly. You can also use the first two steps and turn them into twice baked, using the scooped flesh.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
Head Chef

To cut down on the "heat", add BBQ sauce to tone it down and give it a little sweet taste.

Tags
None