"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Wings: Back Down the Heat

I'm definitely gearing up for the Super Bowl.

I need to back down the heat on some traditional buffalo wings. I've been looking at some recipes, but there seems to be very little difference between hot and mild. Should I just add more butter and vinegar to thin a recipe out?

It looks like most recipes are about equal parts Franks Red Hot and butter. Add garlic, chili powder, wish sauce, if desired.

Thoughts?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

Makes sense to me.

I have been baking my wings and using a dry coating instead of the traditional Buffalo method, not quite as messy to eat. This recipe gives a basic starting point but you should really customize the ingredients to suit yourself. I add a tablespoon of baking powder to the mixture, to help crisp up the skin. I coat the chicken by shaking the pieces in a bag with the spice mixture and then refrigerate the chicken for a few hours before baking. All the work is done ahead of time and the cleanup is minimal.

Spicy Dry Rub Hot Wings - Baked | Low Carb Yum

I would also upgrade the chicken from wings to the small drumsticks, go big or go home!!!

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Makes sense to me.

I have been baking my wings and using a dry coating instead of the traditional Buffalo method, not quite as messy to eat. This recipe gives a basic starting point but you should really customize the ingredients to suit yourself. I add a tablespoon of baking powder to the mixture, to help crisp up the skin. I coat the chicken by shaking the pieces in a bag with the spice mixture and then refrigerate the chicken for a few hours before baking. All the work is done ahead of time and the cleanup is minimal.

I would also upgrade the chicken from wings to the small drumsticks, go big or go home!!!

Good luck!
Don't "upgrade" for me. I very much prefer the smaller section with 2 bones over the drumette. I wish I could buy packages of just that as both my wife and I fight over who gets those pieces.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Don't "upgrade" for me. I very much prefer the smaller section with 2 bones over the drumette. I wish I could buy packages of just that as both my wife and I fight over who gets those pieces.
I thought I was the only one! I even like the piece from the turkey. For some reason that wing section is the best!

OP. Just add less Franks to the sauce/melted butter. Add some honey if you want to cool it off and make it a bit sweeter.
I love hot wings and mine are not to hot.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

This time for the SB I'm doing wings with no heat and just have like 4 different sauces in varying degrees of hotness/spicyness for tossing or dipping on the side. Not all my family and friends can handle heat, even mild heat.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
Master Chef

I am well acquainted with making things mild, hot, and super hot. Here's a recipe that works very well on fried chicken. If you add just a little cayenne pepper to the recipe, you will get a great flavored coating, with a little heat. Use your favorite wing parts instead of chicken thighs.

Baked Bulldog, Oven-Fried Chicken
I call this one bulldog chicken because the memory of its flavor will stay with you like a bulldog on a bull.

Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. red pepper
1/4 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder

In a plastic shaker bag, make an egg-wash from 2 large egg whisked with 1/2 cup water.

Preheat deep fryer. Turn heat to medium flame.

Skin the chicken thighs and dredge in seasoned flour. Dip in the egg-wash, and then again in the seasoned flour. Shake excess coating from the chicken and place in hot oil. Don't crowd the pan. Fry on each side for 6 minutes. Remove the chicken to a foil-lined pan and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

This should be enough for 12 chicken thighs. Double as required.

Don't forget to increase the red pepper just a bit. Ad another 1/4 tsp, then take a pinch of the seasoned flour and make a little ball by dipping it into the egg wash. Fry it and taste it. Correct the seasoning to your desired amount of pepper heat. Hope this is useful for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:29 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Makes sense to me.

Good luck!
I do the same thing with baking powder. They get spun in sauce afterwards.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
We call them flats in the biz. :)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
We call them flats in the biz. :)
I've started cooking wings without cutting them apart so that everyone gets an equal shot at their favorite wing sections.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I love the flats too and since TB likes the drumettes, we get along fine!

Chief, your wings sound mighty tasty!

I have developed a recipe that we love. I make it with all-purpose gluten free flour, but regular flour is fine too.

2 tbsp hot sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp each salt and pepper

coat 2 lbs of wings with this mixture and marinate covered, overnight in the fridge or on the counter for a half hour or so.

dredge in 1 cup flour (I actually just pour the flour over them in the bowl and mix them up by hand. It works great with GF flour)

Lay wings on an oiled cookie sheet and spray (recommended) or drizzle with oil. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, turn over, and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until done.

These wings are not too hot and really crispy good.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None