"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wings not browning in deep fryer??

I recently got a deep fryer and love wings, but every time i make them, the wings stay a pale white but start separating from the bone. what am i doing wrong??

Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

What temp are you using?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

I agree with GB - sounds like your oil may be hot enough to cook the wings (you can do that at a low temp - 185ºF will do it) but too low to create browning - which needs to be a minimum of about 350º-375ºF.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb2600
I recently got a deep fryer and love wings, but every time i make them, the wings stay a pale white but start separating from the bone. what am i doing wrong??
I have the same problem, think next time Iam going to season them well, (I do use a 350' temp.) ! Maybe 375' next time Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Might want to use a thermometer and check the Temp of your oil...Before you drop your product...and a minute or two afterwards to see if your fryer is "recovering" to a proper fry temp. I hesitate to guess...but it sounds as if it may not be.....
Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

you might be overloading the fryer, causing he temp to drop. try doing just a few wings at a time.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Executive Chef

all good suggestions to a difficult problem to assess without being there. let us know what you find out through trial and error.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Two of the biggest reasons food doesn't properly brown are that the wings are not dry enough, and you're overloading your deep fryer. Make sure you dry them with a paper towel before dropping into the oil, make sure your oil is the correct temp, that is 375 and don't ever overcrowd them. If you put too many pieces into a deep fryer or skillet for that matter, you'll wind up "steaming" the pieces rather than frying them. Food that is being sauteed or deep fried shouldn't touch each other. Try using half the amount of wings at one time, dry them thoroughly and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

If the wings are directly from the fridge, let them sit on the counter for a half hour before deep frying them. Also, follow the suggestions others have had and make sure that you do them in small batches. The worst thing you can do when deep frying is to overload it. The oil temperature will drop when you add any amount of food, too much food will cause it to drop too low to create good browning and your deep fryer may not be able to compensate for it fast enough.

What I would do is to cook the wings once through until they are almost done, then crank the heat up to 375* or as high as the oil can take without smoking. Add the partially cooked wings back to the oil to crisp the outside, this time through the temperature drop will be much less dramatic and you may get better browning.

I can't comment on how well this works for wings, but this is the only way I have found to consistently make great french fries (fluffy and moist in the middle, crisp on the outside).

One more thing: I would get a fry thermometer and use it to make sure that you deep fryer is reading the correct temperature. It is possible that even with setting it at 350-375 it could be much lower, the only way you would know is with a thermometer.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
all of the above :)

and also fresh oil/fat doesn`t tend to brown anything very well at 1`st untill it`s been used a few times, I`ve no idea WHY this happens (or rather doesn`t).
a good test for the right temp if you don`t have a thermometer is throw a bit of bread in and see if it toasts to brown, it`s a reasonably fair indicator that you`re up to temp :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None