Your Best Chicken Kabobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quizzie

Senior Cook
Wednesday Eve, I am planning to grill some chicken Kabobs. The weather has been wonderful here in Houston.:cool: Therefore, I will take advantage of 70's temp.
:chef: I am looking for a special recipe, different, your own little secret. The one you take pride in. I prefer a thick full Kabob (no skimmping) I will be using
Chicken breast tenders. (need marinade also). What else would go with these Kabobs? As a side dish.:unsure:

Hopefully someone will come along soon with some great recipes for you. I've never made Chicken Kabobs, but I would like to.

:) Barbara

I make ka-bobs alot. I make a good chicken souvlaki ka-bob. This makes enough for two generously -
Greek Chicken Ka-bobs

Marinade:
juice of 2 -3 lemons
6 T olive oil
1 t salt
1 t dried oregano
1 t dried basil
2-3 garlic cloves chopped
Pepper to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into uniform sized large chunks
(I use chicken that is still slightly frozen for easier cutting)
1-2 red bell peppers cut into chunks
1 red onion cut into chunks
yellow squash, cut into chunks
zuchini cut into chunks
mushrooms

whisk all of the marinade ingredients together and place in a large ziploc with the chicken. Let marinate for at least 1 hour (you can let it sit all day if you like).

Onto metal skewers (or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water) thread the marinated meat, alternating with the chopped veggies.

Grill until done, turning often.

I serve the ka-bobs with rice pilaf and a greek salad. Its a wonderful summer meal.

My 2 favorite chicken (or turkey) kabobs are very simple. I rarely cook the poultry & vegetables together anymore - I do them on separate kabobs so that everything can be cooked to the correct doneness.

#1 is just a large Ziplock bag with the poultry & vegetables + one bottle of any good Italian, Greek, or Caesar salad dressing (Ken's is a good one). Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.

#2 is also a large Ziplock bag with the poultry marinated in a combination of 1/2 plain yogurt & 1/2 a jar of commercial Indian Tandoori or Vindaloo spice paste. Again - leave for at least 4 hours or overnight. With this one I don't marinate the vegetables - just grill a selection of them separately & serve on top of yellow rice.

Hey Breezy, that is a great idea! I have never seperated the kabobs for evenly cooking. Where would I find a jar of Indian Tandoori or Vindaloo spice paste? (sounds great) I will try this next.

TOOTS, also has a good marinate. I will use your recipes.
By the way, Do your marinades aslo work with Pork or Beef?

In Houston you'll have no problem finding them in nearly any supermarket. They even have them here out in the boondocks of Virginia - lol!!

They're normally found in the ethnic aisle - wherever the Asian foodstuffs are. Some stores have a more extensive variety than others, but they're all good. (Before use you might want to take a little taste, as some of them - especially the Vindaloos - can be searingly hot, in which case you might want to use less paste &/or more yogurt for your marinade.)

Here are some different spins. Not all of them are known as kabobs but since they are made with chicken breast and grilled they can pass as a kabob.

Chicken Tikka:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken breasts cut into cubes (6)
1 cup of plain yogurt
1 tbsp of ginger
1.5 tsp of salt
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp of paprika
2 tsp of chilli powder
2 tsp of cumin powder
2 tsp of corrainder powder
1/2 cup of freshly chopped cilantro

Mix yogurt, lime juice, ginger and all the spices and herbs in a bowl. Pour this marinade over the chicken cubes and let it marinate for two hours. Skewer, grill and serve with a chutney of your choice and a simple salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes and onions.

Satay Marinade

Same amount of chicken (6 breasts cubed or cut into strips - your choice)
1/4 cup of smooth peanut butter
3 tbsp of brown sugar
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 tsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of sambal (chilli paste available in Chinese or other Asian markets)
salt to taste
juice of one lime
1 tsp of corrainder powder
1/4 cup of coconut milk

Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour it over the chicken. Grill and serve with a peanut sauce or with any sauce of your liking.

Another Marinade that I use with both Chicken and Shrimp

Juice of two lemons
zest of two lemons (first zest and then squeeze the juice)
6 cloves of garlic finely minced
handful of fresh thyme sprigs (I like to get the tiny leaves out and add them to the marinade)
generous amount of pepper
salt to taste
3/4 cup of olive oil

Pour the marinade over the chicken and let it marinate for 2 hours. Skewer and grill. I actually make more marinade and use half of it for chicken and the other half for veggies (red bellpepper cubes, red onions and zucchini). Then make skewers alternating chicken and veggies and grill.

thanks breezycooking, I will be sure and check that out. We have a store here in Houston (Fiesta) It has aisles upon aisles of all kinds of international spices. The aisles are marked French, Italian, Mexican, Asian Etc. I have probably seen it, but had no clue to it's potential. (excited)

Back
Top Bottom