"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Oh Addie, that is a tough tough question! I love most classical music and different moods require different music. Russian composers are all about passion and romance for me. Chopin is contemplative. Bach and his ilk are for getting my brain in gear to do some heavy thinking. If I had to pick just one piece of music it would be Ravel's Bolero. LOVE that piece. Although, Hall of the Mountain King by Grieg is also a fave. Oh dear, this could get ugly. I'll stop now.
When there is a piece of music I fall in love with, I stick a disc in and record it over and over again. Right now I have three discs full of just one song. Bolero, Bring Him Home from Les Mis., All Through The Night, a Welsh folk song. When I am sitting at the computer I put one in and let it play softly. Right now I am listening to Bring Him Home. Classical music was my childhood lullabies. We always had something playing in the background. Even if the TV or radio was on.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #102
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
you were both awesome in your own special ways in the q & a. but chief, you really should know better than to challenge alix at spelling. or anyone, really.:)
You're right! I had desert and dessert backwards in my head. What ever happened to the rule - a vowel followed by two consonants produces the short vowel sound, while a vowel followed by 1 consonant gives the vowel a long vowel sound. Examples - settle - e followed by double t results in a short e. Primary - i followed by single m results in long i sound.

In the English language, you might as well forget about rules. There are just too many exceptions. It can make a guy crazy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
You're right! I had desert and dessert backwards in my head. What ever happened to the rule - a vowel followed by two consonants produces the short vowel sound, while a vowel followed by 1 consonant gives the vowel a long vowel sound. Examples - settle - e followed by double t results in a short e. Primary - i followed by single m results in long i sound.

In the English language, you might as well forget about rules. There are just too many exceptions. It can make a guy crazy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's hilarious. When I first read the question, I thought you meant dessert, but had spelled it wrong. Then I thought, no, maybe he means desert.

I before e except after c or when sounded like a as in neighbour and weigh. Then there are exceptions to that.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #104
Executive Chef

chief, you got any more?

i literally felt chills, chills and a warm spread of admiration at 'the cold small part' of your brain alix. the one that appeared quietly alongside of motherhood, and calmly contemplated murder. a primal kind of understanding that briefly flashes on a lion king sort of protective duality.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #105
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
BTW, if you can find my GTK thread I love questions! That's not to say I don't love to see Alix on the hot seat!
+1 on this

Now for some questions for Alix.

You're a camera. Are you digital or film? Point and click, manual, or somewhere in between? What is your lense's favorite photo to capture? Why (applies to all of this group of questions)?

When you picture yourself in your mind, do you look the same as your reflection in a mirror? If not, what is different?

You mentioned you have crinkles from laughing and smiling. Is there anyone in your life who has been especially helpful in creating them?

You find yourself at the bottom of Rapunzle's tower. She has a ring that you need in order to finish an important quest. It takes two people to recover the ring so you need to get up to her room to help her. Rapunzle calls out from her window and lets you know that she can either lower a ladder that you can climb, or her hair which she can use to pull you up. She reassures you that the ladder is sturdy so won't break if you choose it, and that she is strong so you won't hurt her if you choose her hair. Do you climb the ladder or let her pull you up using her hair?

Fishy fishy fishy fish.
For what would you wish
if you had a swishy fish wish?
(apparently I'm channeling Dr. Suess)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #106
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
chief, you got any more?

i literally felt chills, chills and a warm spread of admiration at 'the cold small part' of your brain alix. the one that appeared quietly alongside of motherhood, and calmly contemplated murder. a primal kind of understanding that briefly flashes on a lion king sort of protective duality.
Thanks vitauta, that means I managed to convey it correctly. Its a tough emotion to describe. I suspect its more readily understood by those who've been there.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #107
Everymom

You're a camera. Are you digital or film? Point and click, manual, or somewhere in between? What is your lense's favorite photo to capture? Why (applies to all of this group of questions)?
I'm a digital, and I can be point and click, but I have all the fussy bits too. I've got F-Stops and zooms, I've got all the things that can either frustrate and complicate the heck out of you, or (once you understand them) make the most perfect pictures come to life. (I'm still trying to understand all my fussy bits! Getting there though) My favorite photo to capture...hmmm. I have two. I like to take pictures of people, in all different moments. People are fascinating and its amazing what you can capture through the lens of the camera. A picture of my family in an unguarded moment of hilarity would be the epitome for me. As my girls are growing up, we have fewer moments all together. Seeing us all helpless with laughter while we play Balderdash or some other game is worth capturing. The other one is those quiet moments in nature where you FEEL God. They're fleeting, and you have to be fast, but they wash over you with that warmth and peace.

When you picture yourself in your mind, do you look the same as your reflection in a mirror? If not, what is different?
Funny you should ask this. Recently, I was talking to someone about beliefs we have about ourselves. I KNOW my hair is darker than it was when I was younger, but when I "see" myself I picture my hair lighter. Weird huh? Otherwise, I'm pretty much as I see myself in the mirror. I went through a period in my life when I hid from people trying to take pictures of me. I thought I was too fat, or my hair was messy, or whatever my stupidity of the moment was. It came to me one day that the people taking my picture LOVE ME and they don't care if I'm a few pounds overweight or my hair is imperfect, they want to have a remembrance of me in whatever moment they're capturing. Somewhere around then, I took a good look in the mirror and just accepted I am who I am. Been a lot happier with life since then. And now, when someone points a camera at me, I smile for all I'm worth!
You mentioned you have crinkles from laughing and smiling. Is there anyone in your life who has been especially helpful in creating them?
Oh ya! I live with my best friend and the funniest man on the planet. Ken makes me laugh daily. I highly recommend being with someone who makes you laugh. Life is so much sweeter when you laugh. My daughters are pretty funny too. My eldest has been writing a blog inspired by her sister's breakfast choices, very funny stuff.

You find yourself at the bottom of Rapunzle's tower. She has a ring that you need in order to finish an important quest. It takes two people to recover the ring so you need to get up to her room to help her. Rapunzle calls out from her window and lets you know that she can either lower a ladder that you can climb, or her hair which she can use to pull you up. She reassures you that the ladder is sturdy so won't break if you choose it, and that she is strong so you won't hurt her if you choose her hair. Do you climb the ladder or let her pull you up using her hair?
Likely the ladder. I'm a bit leery of letting others be in control of my destiny when I am capable myself.

Fishy fishy fishy fish.
For what would you wish
if you had a swishy fish wish?
(apparently I'm channeling Dr. Suess)
I'd wish for a visit with my Dad. I've been missing him lately. He's been gone since 2007 and I think of him all the time. He would have loved the trip I just took and I'd love to sit down on a warm patio somewhere with a drink and munchies and tell him all about it. (I was trying to think of some way to rhyme that one and it just wasn't happening this early. Love the Dr Suess stuff though!)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #108
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have been reading this thread (and loving it!), but for some reason I haven't asked any questions. You are so near and dear to me that I feel oddly stumped every time I think about adding to the thread, and nothing will come to me! Weird, I know! So, I'm going to try to think of something that hasn't already been asked.

When you were a child, did you ever want to be part of a family you watched on TV? If so, which show, and why?

If you had to (no exceptions allowed) give up either reading or cooking, which would you give up?

You are standing in front of a cave known for its echo qualities. What do you yell into it?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I have been reading this thread (and loving it!), but for some reason I haven't asked any questions. You are so near and dear to me that I feel oddly stumped every time I think about adding to the thread, and nothing will come to me! Weird, I know! So, I'm going to try to think of something that hasn't already been asked.

When you were a child, did you ever want to be part of a family you watched on TV? If so, which show, and why?

If you had to (no exceptions allowed) give up either reading or cooking, which would you give up?

You are standing in front of a cave known for its echo qualities. What do you yell into it?
Great questions. I love the cave one. And you were trying to think up some. Good job.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #110
Everymom

Huh. No I never did. I remember getting irritated at some of the Brady Bunch kids, and being gaga over Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy, but I don't think I ever wanted to be part of one of those families.

You don't pull any punches do you? That's a mean mean choice. I'd give up cooking. It would be really hard, but giving up reading would tear out my heart AND my soul. Cooking is so soothing, and satisfying, but reading is NECESSARY.

I'd probably be really unoriginal and yell, "Helloooo!" But I like to think I'd take the opportunity to bellow something hilarious. How about, "Who you gonna call?" just so I could yell back, "GHOSTBUSTERS!"