"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Everymom

Name a "guilty pleasure" - a food that you love but only allow yourself to have once in awhile.

This is a toughie. I don't limit myself very much. The only thing I really limit is due to cost. I love crab. I could eat it til I explode. I can't afford it very often though. One of my favorite treats is Surf 'n Turf at The Keg restaurant. The steak is always perfect and the crab legs are divine. I get it about once a year on my birthday. Delish.

What is a food you eat at home because the family likes it but you would never order in a restaurant?
Spaghetti. Its one of those dishes we all really like and so that means its kind of a "fall back" for when my brain is not firing on all cylinders. I can make it FAST and good without half trying. We've eaten a LOT of spaghetti in our lives. So right now, I'll never order spaghetti when we eat out.

Describe your perfect pizza.

Crispy yeast raised crust with a light sprinkling of cornmeal and a hint of parmesan. Homemade tomato sauce made with roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic with a handful of fresh oregano chopped into it. Thinly shaved ham, diced bacon and pepperoni piled high on top of the tomato sauce. Topped with piles of ooey gooey melty mozzarella and maybe a bit of gruyere. Baked to perfection and served piping hot with a big glass of white wine.

That's the pizza I'd fancy today anyway. Tomorrow I might give a different answer!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Do you remember the first serious "grownup" thing you learned to cook? Tell us about it..

What ethnic cuisines intrigue you?

What kitchen gadgets or appliances are on your wish list?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

1. If you found yourself the main character of an animated movie, what would be the movie's basic plot?

2. Do you have a skill or talent that you wish you had the time and/or resources to develop more?

3. A famous composer wants to write a theme song for you. What kind of song would it be (up-beat, pretty, pop, classical, etc.)?

4. What character trait do you most value in yourself?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Everymom

Do you remember the first serious "grownup" thing you learned to cook? Tell us about it..

I remember cooking lots of things with Mom, and helping as she made dinners. My contribution was often the dessert portion of things. My first full meal was an epic event IMO, because it meant I was going to get a Girl Guide badge. I made hamburger rice ring, a big salad and a dessert. I can't remember a thing about the dessert, but I remember every step of the hamburger rice ring and its the first recipe I ever memorized. I haven't made it in about 20 years though, my husband HATES it. *sigh* Its still one of my favorite dishes. I was so proud of that meal. My Dad didn't much care for that dish, but he praised it to high heaven and ate every speck. I'm sure he sneaked into the kitchen later for a boiled egg or two, but he was a gentleman to the core with me.

What ethnic cuisines intrigue you?

Asian cuisines fascinate me. Vietnamese, Japanese and Thai are my current favorites. I'm a HUGE pho fan but can't get it right! And we know about my sushi love. We have sushi making parties every so often. We aren't fancy, but we sure have fun with it! I haven't tried my hand at Thai food at all because my family are heat wimps. Seriously. 1 tbsp of Frank's in an entire pot of taco meat and they're freaking out about how hot it is. I can't imagine what Thai food would do to them. Doesn't stop me reading about it though!

What kitchen gadgets or appliances are on your wish list?

A hot smoker, a turkey deep fryer, a new hand blender (RIP Braun, you served me well!), a new Visions dutch oven, more stoneware cookie sheets, a new attachment package for my KA...I could go on, but that's the stuff at the top of the list. If I were to order them the hand blender would be first, followed closely by the dutch oven and the new attachment package for the KA. Much as I want the smoker and the deep fryer, those are not going to be used as much as the other "toys".
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

What's your biggest fear?

How did becoming a mother change you?

Do you have any strange food combo's you like?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Everymom

1. If you found yourself the main character of an animated movie, what would be the movie's basic plot?

It would definitely be Spongebob like. Cute little character who blithely wanders into dangerous situations and blunders about "fixing" things because they just want everyone to be happy and nice. That's pretty much the story of my life.

2. Do you have a skill or talent that you wish you had the time and/or resources to develop more?
I used to sing more than I do now. Now its strictly in the shower or car, but back in the day I got to meet some pretty big names because of my singing. Its not my life now, but I do miss it from time to time. I miss singing in a choir too. I don't mean a church choir, I mean a performance based choir. There was a real challenge to learning some of that music and you really had to be on your game. It can be pretty nerve wracking to have a conductor point to your general area and mention that someone is "consistently flat" and to shape up and then give you the hairy eyeball. EEK! How the hell can they identify ONE VOICE in 100 people??? But even with that, the exhilaration of producing that kind of music is inexplicable. O Holy Night still brings tears to my eyes at one particular chord...every time.

3. A famous composer wants to write a theme song for you. What kind of song would it be (up-beat, pretty, pop, classical, etc.)?

Hmmm...upbeat classical a la Bugs Bunny music. My life is more ups than downs and is sometimes in fast forward!

4. What character trait do you most value in yourself?

This is always a tough question for me to answer. (I just did it in my last job interview!) I'm not overly modest, but this question makes me feel like I'm boasting. I believe I "see" people well. I can often read what motivates them, see where they've come from and know how to deal with them. It makes it tough for kids to put one over on me, and sometimes gives me a bit of an edge in deescalating a client. Is that a character trait? Maybe I should just say that I genuinely love people and what makes them who they are. That's more what you're looking for I think.

You guys ask some toughies! I really have to think hard about these ones! I was thinking I was going to be getting stuff like "how many pets do you have?"
Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Everymom

Thank God! An easy question! My biggest fear always has been (and always will be) losing people I love or seeing them get hurt. This of course is directly proportional to how close they are to me. Seeing my kids get hurt or struggling with some pain is AWFUL for me. It scares the pants off me that they might walk into traffic and get smushed or someone might hurt them. OK, gotta stop that line of thought! Next question.

How did becoming a mother change you?
I stopped being as selfish and a daredevil. I realized that I was important and completely unimportant all at the same time. Weird revelation, but I think every mother out there gets exactly what I mean.

Well I don't think that it's strange, but I've been told that eating a half a pickle with mashed potato piled on top of it is weird. That's about my only weirdness food wise though. I have food combo's that I DON'T like, but far fewer that I DO. I'm one of those "I don't like my foods to touch on my plate" people. I think they need to have segmented plates for adults too, really nice china ones with just gentle ridges in them to keep gravy from seeping into your veggies!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Thank God! An easy question! My biggest fear always has been (and always will be) losing people I love or seeing them get hurt. This of course is directly proportional to how close they are to me. Seeing my kids get hurt or struggling with some pain is AWFUL for me. It scares the pants off me that they might walk into traffic and get smushed or someone might hurt them. OK, gotta stop that line of thought! Next question.

How did becoming a mother change you? I stopped being as selfish and a daredevil. I realized that I was important and completely unimportant all at the same time. Weird revelation, but I think every mother out there gets exactly what I mean.

Well I don't think that it's strange, but I've been told that eating a half a pickle with mashed potato piled on top of it is weird. That's about my only weirdness food wise though. I have food combo's that I DON'T like, but far fewer that I DO. I'm one of those "I don't like my foods to touch on my plate" people. I think they need to have segmented plates for adults too, really nice china ones with just gentle ridges in them to keep gravy from seeping into your veggies!
You answered questions one and 2 exactly as I would have!!!
P.S I hate it so much when my food touches that I don't want to eat if someone dishes up for me
When I order nacho's I ask them to bring my guacamole, salsa and sourcream in bowls seperately. I'm a bit OCD I guess!
Think I may have rubbed off on my Daughter, she'll only eat food that I dished up and wants her gravy in a jug next to her food like I do

I've got grown up plates with sections :p Made them in a pottery class!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shop BIA Cordon Bleu White Porcelain TV Trays at CHEFS.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
Everymom

Hahahahahaha!!! Nice to know I'm not the only weirdo around here! Thanks Snip. PF, that takes me to the home page, does it have pretty segmented plates for me somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, the second time I tried the link I got it! Cool beans. I actually want my divisions a little more subtle than that. I want really pretty plates where the design in them is actual raised ever so slightly so that it keeps stuff separate. I like to be subtle about my weirdiosity!