"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #51
Everymom

1. Do you prefer sage or thyme, and why?

You ask GREAT questions Chief. I have honestly never thought much about sage or thyme. If you'd tossed in basil I'd have had an easy answer but nope, you pick two I don't use much. Lets see...I like the look of sage, I am not fond of the prickliness of thyme, but I use thyme more often. Hmmm. Going to go with thyme for basic usefulness. I use it a lot in chicken dishes and really enjoy its aroma. Sage to me is just an ingredient in poultry seasoning and I don't use it in anything else. However, now that you have mentioned it, I'm going to be paying attention and will be considering how and when to experiment with it.

2. Would you rather glide through a beautiful lake in the full color of autumn, in a canoe, or white water raft with a professional rafting outfit?

Easy one. I'm a white water rafting girl. As beautiful and tranquil as the canoe sounds, give me the exhilaration of a rocking raft ride! I've only done little ones (no more than Class 2 or possibly close to a 3) but I would LOVE to do a wilder ride. "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow, what a ride!”
"

3. Which frightens you more, speaking in front of a large group of people, and finding your notes have been lost, or having an expected desert flop, and have to be served anyway?

Hmmm, toughie. Been there done that in both situations. I'm a total performance ham so speaking in front of people gives me a buzz instead of scaring me. I like to think if I were to be speaking to a large group it would be about something I know already so the notes wouldn't matter and I SHOULD be able to wing it.

I've screwed up more desserts than I care to admit and we still eat them anyway! LOL!! I'm pretty good at disguising a flop, but that would probably give me more pause. I'd be tapdancing pretty fast to figure out how to disguise or rectify the situation, but honestly, I don't really care much about that either. If you've been invited to eat in my home its because I like and care about you, and you presumably care about me. I don't like people who would be judgmental about a dessert, so we'd be all good. Besides, we ALWAYS have ice cream on standby as a backup!

4. If offered to you, which would you prefer, a week long pleasure cruise, all expenses paid, or a weekend playing with your grandkids/kids?

Does the week long pleasure cruise include my kids? That would be cool. I love being with my kids, but being with them on a holiday is a special jewel to be savored. We are all different on holiday and I treasure those moments in my heart and memory. Funny you should ask this, Ken and I are taking a 10 day cruise (all expenses paid) in November and leaving the girls behind. I guess that sort of answers the question doesn't it? We'd love to have them with us but A) we couldn't afford to take them on THIS trip and B) there are too many expectations upon them with school this year. We're a little sad, but a little excited about a second (and rather posh) honeymoon.

5. If you could have any car/truck you wanted, or any motorcycle you wanted, what would you pick, and what model?

VW beetle - painted yellow, with a black stripe around the middle and the black radio antenna sticking out the back. I would be guaranteed no one else would EVER drive or try to steal my vehicle. And really, how cute would that be?

6. What's your favorite tree, and why?

I have to pick just one? Sheesh. I like trees, this is tough. How about one for summer one for winter? I like trembling aspen trees in the summer. I love to listen to the susurration of the wind in the leaves and to watch the leaves turn to the sun. They seem like a happy tree. The leaves are cute and little and round and the green is vibrant and well, happy. To me, they mean summer. In comparison, I like the starkness of cottonwood trees in the winter. They look gnarled and dark and bleak. They look like winter feels.

7. Through a camera lens, what's your favorite season/view?

Wow. If I could encapsulate a moment in a camera lens/picture it would be of summer. My family would be sitting around our patio table, replete after a wonderful meal, laughing and enjoying the warmth of the summer evening. The picture would be shot from the west, looking east in order to capture the light of the sun on the happy faces, and to show the patio/deck and all the warmth and love and joy that lives there.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #52
Master Chef

It's not that I ask great questions. My questions are mediocre at best. Rather, it's that you really think about the questions, and give honest answers that bare your soul.

I know you much better after reading all of your answers throughout the thread. And you know what, I'm a lucky man to know you.

There's a reason you are considered one of the greats around DC, and it's not because you can fake your way through a failed desert.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, thank you for sharing your most innerself with us.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #54
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

How about sharing some more ;)

What's your favorite fast food?

Do you set a fancy table just for your family, ever?

Do you have a pet and if so, have you ever cooked for it?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #55
Everymom

I'm off to work shortly. I'll answer these in a bit.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Can't tell ya what I choked on but well Andy does have that way about him. Fa la la la la lalala,
ma
Gotta love him! He cracks me up

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Italian wedding soup for Bugs and I (she's fighting a cold) and a chicken/broccoli/mushroom/pasta experiment for Ken and Madeleine.

1. Do you let people touch you, Alix? (Obviously, Ken had to touch you at some point for you to have kids <g>).

Smart a$$. Gotcha!

3. Why on earth would you want to eat zebra meat (and, if your sis has been there 15 years, please tell us that the zebra meat hasn't been in your pantry that long).

I DON'T want to eat zebra meat! My SIL just has an odd sense of humour, much like her brother's! It's been in the pantry a couple of years. I don't plan to ever open it now, but I'm not quite sure what I ought to do with it. It seems wrong to just toss it. I mean it IS a zebra and how many people can claim they have zebra ANYTHING in their pantry?
A friend of mine brought home-canned venison from Newfoundland. I love venison--but that sat in my pantry FOREVER. I finally fed it to the dogs after about 5 years. All of the dogs are still alive.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Alix, I bet the local zoo would find someone to eat the zebra meat. I'm sure there is a large cat that would think it was the best treat ever!!! :D
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #59
Everymom

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but if I do, I like McDonalds breakfast. Mmmmm! Greasy hashbrowns and egg mcmuffin!

I do when its Grammas coming over. I don't usually set a fancy table for us. We're lucky these days just to sit down to a dinner together. I guess maybe I should make a bigger deal of it hey?

We have a dog and two cats, and nope, never cooked for them. I have, however, shopped for special deli meat to inspire my sick kitty to eat. I've also watched my mom dice and saute chicken livers for her siamese cat. Now THAT was a spoilt kitty.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but if I do, I like McDonalds breakfast. Mmmmm! Greasy hashbrowns and egg mcmuffin!

I do when its Grammas coming over. I don't usually set a fancy table for us. We're lucky these days just to sit down to a dinner together. I guess maybe I should make a bigger deal of it hey?

We have a dog and two cats, and nope, never cooked for them. I have, however, shopped for special deli meat to inspire my sick kitty to eat. I've also watched my mom dice and saute chicken livers for her siamese cat. Now THAT was a spoilt kitty.
My son buys special roast beef sandwiches minus the bread for Teddy and he ends up eating chicken. What is wrong with this picture? He buys special cuts of meat to cook for him. and he eats chicken. He hand feeds Teddy his meals of beef while he eats chicken. Jeesh!