"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Alright Alix, now for some fun questions. :D

One of the subjects you took in high school has turned into a person (math, english, history, etc.). What subject is it, what does the person look like, and are you friends with him/her?

What are you most likely to trip over in your own home?

An old joke concludes that cats are women in fur coats and dogs are men in fur coats. If that's the case, what are hamsters?

People: yes, no, maybe? Please explain why.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #62
Everymom

One of the subjects you took in high school has turned into a person (math, english, history, etc.). What subject is it, what does the person look like, and are you friends with him/her?

Chemistry. Turned into a dusty old man wearing wire rimmed glasses and a lab coat. He mutters in a monotone a la the Ferris Bueller teacher. I am not friends with this person. I regard this person with great suspicion but genuine respect. Perhaps respect tinged with fear? One of those if-i-can-see-it-I-will-at=least-know-when-it-blows kind of things.

What are you most likely to trip over in your own home?

An animal, or a pile of laundry. The cats are the most likely culprits as they seem to lie in wait for me to have my hands full so I can't dodge them effectively. The mountain of laundry is simply always growing dang it.

An old joke concludes that cats are women in fur coats and dogs are men in fur coats. If that's the case, what are hamsters?
Clearly, hamsters are teenagers. They sleep all day, and are active all night, they make huge messes, they eat copious amounts of anything left within reach and they can smell bad. They are also cute and fuzzy and that's the only reason they stay alive!

Was this part of the hamster question or a stand alone?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

I was wondering that too.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #64
Executive Chef

alix, your getting-to-know thread is fast becoming one of my favorite ones. yes, really! and besides being hilarious, entertaining and fun, we actually get to learn some insightful 'n scintillating alixstuff....:)
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #65
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

If you could have chosen any career (in a perfect and imaginary world) what would it have been?

Talk to us about chocolate.. likes, dislikes, wistful thoughts, passing fantasies...

Let's play desert island. If you could only take one pan, one knife and one other item from your kitchen, what would you take? (What kind of pan, etc)

btw... you are a very good sport Alix ;)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #66
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Janet is wanting chocolate stories...

Vicarious living???
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix

Stand alone. Intentional vague.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #68
Everymom

OK PAG, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was stand alone, but didn't want to come across as TOO weird!

People YES! I love people. I love talking to them, watching them, listening to them and figuring out what makes them tick. I am a self proclaimed people person. Having said that, there are days when the answer is a resounding NO and the only place I want to see people is on the other side of my door!

Janet, Thanks! You guys are pretty fun. I've been expecting certain questions, and they haven't shown up yet. The stuff that HAS shown up has been very entertaining! I love the creativity of the DC family.

If you could have chosen any career (in a perfect and imaginary world) what would it have been?

That's easy. Supreme benevolent dictator of the world. My sister made me add in the benevolent part. She says it makes me a little less scary that way. Didn't know I was a closet megalomaniac did you?

Talk to us about chocolate.. likes, dislikes, wistful thoughts, passing fantasies...
I like it, I bake with it, and I occasionally crave it. (This could get long) I prefer a darker chocolate. The hint of bitterness captivates me. I like my dark chocolate to be of very good quality so that it melts smoothly on the tongue, drenching each tastebud with flavor. Darker chocolate is better in baking too. It balances the sweetness that is in most baking. I've tried milk chocolate a time or two in baking and it leaves me flat. There's just no complexity in the flavors. However, a good piece of milk chocolate on its OWN can be a soul satisfying experience. Oh boy, I need to stop. I'm starting to head off into la la land. Did I mention my furniture and throw blankets are chocolate colored? Perhaps I have more of an obsession than I thought!

Let's play desert island. If you could only take one pan, one knife and one other item from your kitchen, what would you take? (What kind of pan, etc)

Oooooo easy and tough all at once! One pan = CI frying pan. That sucker can do ANYTHING I need it to do. Smash unsuspecting prowlers one minute, fry a steak or open a coconut the next. One knife...sheesh, I guess my chef's knife would get the call, as it can be used for more than my other knives. Gotta admit, my knives are crummy. If I were going to be stranded, I'd like to pick a new knife from the store. And only one other item huh? I am guessing my Keurig doesn't count on this list. Hmmm...I'm trying to decide between my CI dutch oven and my stock pot. I think I'd end up with the stock pot. In the case of desert island living, I think bigger is better. And as durable as my CI is, I think stainless steel would be useful as well.

You have fun questions Janet! I like the way your brain works!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #69
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Pie: Are you a pie baker? Do you make pretty pies or wild, unconventional pies. What is you favorite pie?

Most of us have some pet peeves (mine is dirty counters). What drives you absolutely nuts in your kitchen?

Round two of Desert Island: Now that you have selected the cookware you will have, what 3 pantry items would you choose to supplement anything you can scrounge on the island.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #70
Everymom

Pie: Are you a pie baker? Do you make pretty pies or wild, unconventional pies. What is your favorite pie?

Yep, I'm a pie baker. I do a lot of pies in the summer and fall. I am not fancy with my pies. I make a pretty edge, but no lattice tops, or anything like that. Just a little crimping and a nice glaze. Done. My favorite pie depends on the season. I love a good apple pie, but lemon is killer too. I make a mean rhubarb pie and my blueberry is outstanding. (Modest aren't i?) I think probably if I were at a restaurant I'd order pecan pie. I can't make that at home because of my kids allergies and I dearly love it. Before my kids had allergies I made a chocolate bourbon pecan pie and could have eaten the whole danged thing myself!

Most of us have some pet peeves (mine is dirty counters). What drives you absolutely nuts in your kitchen?

A CLEAN kitchen is one that has no dishes in the sink, clean counters and everything in its place. It bugs the stuffing out of me when someone "cleans" the kitchen and all they've done is put the dishes in the dishwasher. The sink still has food bits in it and the counters are sticky. AAAAAAAAAAAUGH! That will send me around the bend. It also makes me crazy when my knives are put away wrong. They go blade up in the knife block and each knife has its own slot.

Round two of Desert Island: Now that you have selected the cookware you will have, what 3 pantry items would you choose to supplement anything you can scrounge on the island.

Huh. Good question. How about flour, sugar and yeast. Can I have them in unlimited amounts? If not, I'll have to think again about what to bring.