"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #71
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

What is your favorite Holiday and why?

What are your favorite comfort foods?

Desert Island Bonus Round: You can been stranded on The Island for a looooong time now with your skillet, dutch oven and a knife as well as a large supply of flour, sugar and yeast. You've learned to survive; you're tanned, fit and well rested and you've even had time to write a book on Desert Island Cuisine. The book is finished except for the dedication and opening paragraph. Good news has recently arrived. You've been spotted by the captain of a passing yacht owned by a publishing tycoon. You are about to be picked up and your book published. How will you dedicate the book and what will the first bit of page one say?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #72
Everymom

What is your favorite Holiday and why?

My favorite holiday is always Christmas. I'm a kid at heart and always the first one up. There is something magical about Christmas for me. As well as all the family being together and laughing and feasting, there is the simple joy and recognition (in our family) of God's great love for us.

I'm also just a total goofball about presents. Not going to lie, I love to get 'em! But I love giving them more! What can be more fun than finding just the right gift for someone and then watching their face as they open it? I swear, I want to make them shake their presents sometimes! All but Ken of course. He's just too stupidly good at guessing! His presents don't go under the tree til Christmas Eve.

What are your favorite comfort foods?

Chicken soup is right up there on my list. I could eat soup for every meal and homemade chicken soup is a panacea for all ills in my book. I've been thinking about this for a bit and I am hard pressed to come up with any other comfort foods that are across the board for me. In the winter, when its cold and awful out, I like a good stew with biscuits, but that's not really a summer thing. I will also have to confess my addiction to Wavy Lay's and french onion dip. I love the stuff. Even when I was having gallbladder attacks when I merely SMELLED food I would eat chips and dip. I knew I was guaranteed to have an attack, but did it anyway. Ohhhh so good. *drool*

Desert Island Bonus Round: You can been stranded on The Island for a looooong time now with your skillet, dutch oven and a knife as well as a large supply of flour, sugar and yeast. You've learned to survive; you're tanned, fit and well rested and you've even had time to write a book on Desert Island Cuisine. The book is finished except for the dedication and opening paragraph. Good news has recently arrived. You've been spotted by the captain of a passing yacht owned by a publishing tycoon. You are about to be picked up and your book published. How will you dedicate the book and what will the first bit of page one say?

Dedication:

To all the chef's new and seasoned at DC, thank you. Your unflagging patience in answering questions, and your love and good cheer kept me coming back for more. I have learned so much from you all, and this book would not have been possible without you all. From Andy and Audeo, through kadesma and kitchenelf all the way through the alphabet to Zereh and Zhizara you are a wonderful bunch of people and I'm truly blessed to be a part of the DC family.

Now flip the page and lets get cooking!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

What a lovely dedication. Now get that book written.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #74
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What a lovely dedication. Now get that book written.
+1

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Alix, that dedication warmed my heart and soul.
Know I love you dearly and Yes you are a truly good sport and fun to read. Get busy on that book.
cj
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Our newest interview-ee is Alix. Alic joined DC in 2002 and has been an amazing contributor to the community. She has served as a moderator and administrator and helped out 1000's of folks with cooking dilemmas.
Didn't know Dc had been around since 2002. My questions for you Alix...

How & when did you find DC?

Why are not an Administrator or Mod, any longer?

Your occupation says Mental Health. What do you do in the Mental Health field? (You have said you play with children, and teach in heels. How does that work?)

What is your favorite vegetable dish - other than coleslaw, & can you share a recipe?

What is your best (signature) dish?

If you had a dinner party, what would your dishes be & recipes?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #77
Everymom

Cerise,

I'm off to work shortly, so I will answer your questions as soon as I'm around for more than a few minutes.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Awwww, thanks, Alix! What a lovely feeling that gave me! Love you too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #79
Everymom

Didn't know Dc had been around since 2002. My questions for you Alix...

How & when did you find DC?

DC has been around longer than 2002. I believe it started around 2000 or 2001. I found it because of the Cooking Club of America and my frustrations with that website. Bubbagourmet was a member over there (briefly) and so was Barbara L. Barbara mentioned DC to me and the rest is history. I've been here ever since

Why are not an Administrator or Mod, any longer?

I just couldn't manage to dedicate the time any longer. My life has gone in different directions since I started here and I value this place to much to do a halfassed job of looking after it.

Your occupation says Mental Health. What do you do in the Mental Health field? (You have said you play with children, and teach in heels. How does that work?)

I am a Mental Health Therapist. I work with adolescents between 12-18 years of age. I tell people that mostly what I do is parent other people's kids. They pay me to play with them! Best job EVER. There's more to it than that of course, (you don't generally have to restrain your own kids!) the kids I work with have their own challenges and my job is to teach them how to manage and cope with the world and their lives. Currently, I'm working with kids who are pretty behavioural. Its us or the streets for some of them. This particular job is full time now, and I'm really loving it. In the last few years I have been teaching English (writing) at a local college. I'm not doing that anymore because the funding for me ran out. So, now I'm full time at my other gig.

The heels were mostly when I was teaching, but I do occasionally have to run case conferences, or take a kid to court etc. Those occasions necessitate some fancy clothes and heels.

What is your favorite vegetable dish - other than coleslaw, & can you share a recipe?

OMG. I love veggies but the fewer things you do to them the better for me. I prefer them raw but I do have a few cooked favorites. I like steamed asparagus with some garlic/chiles tossed on it. I like sautéed zucchini, onions, peppers and snow peas with a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper on top. If you're looking for a side dish, I am very fond of broccoli wild rice casserole. I'll post my recipe and try to link it here.

What is your best (signature) dish?

I have thought about this and honestly can't come up with one item. My girls were trying to help me with this and they are sweet enough to tell me that EVERYTHING I cook is amazing. (Good girls!) However, they have decided that my french onion soup is better than any restaurant's.

If you had a dinner party, what would your dishes be & recipes?

Hmmmm. I'm a lazy entertainer. I would do a standing rib roast, or I would do a turkey. The sides would depend upon who was attending the party. My daughters both like green bean casserole so that would likely be on the list. I'd probably do asparagus wrapped in proscuitto and sprinkled with some freshly grated parmesan. I would likely do a committee salad (romaine, toasted almonds, avocado, green onions and a homemade vinaigrette made with dijon, garlic, red wine vinegar and EVOO) and possibly a tomato/avocado salad dressed with fresh lemon juice and s&p. I'd probably do one other cooked veggie and then some kind of potato dish. I'd do potatoes anna for the roast beast and maybe plain old mashed for turkey dinner.

Now desserts...mmmmmm! Got so many choices! One fruit pie, likely apple or blueberry. Then I'd do either a cheesecake or a chocolate ganache tart with a raspberry coulis. That usually covers the bases. I've been known to make lemon curd or custard with berries for a lighter deal as well.

Does that about cover it? I'm hungry now! Sorry it took me so long to get this done Cerise.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #80
Executive Chef

hey, we're not all done with this 'getting to know' thread are we? now that alix is back from vacay, let's get back to it, if she's still taking questions,s that is.:)

this thread has been a fascinating read--great questions eliciting scintillating responses. let's see some more.:)