"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Getting to Know: Alix

Our newest interview-ee is Alix. Alic joined DC in 2002 and has been an amazing contributor to the community. She has served as a moderator and administrator and helped out 1000's of folks with cooking dilemmas.

So Alix...

What do you do for fun?

Who taught you to cook or made the biggest impact on your cooking style?

List 3 things we would be surprised to find in your fridge or pantry. Do they have a special use?

Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Everymom

What do you do for fun?

That's a big question. Honestly, my life is mostly ABOUT fun. My job is fun. I get paid to play with kids. When I get home I get to hang out with some pretty cool family members. I enjoy reading (which many of you already know) and I read a LOT. I average about 5 books a week depending on the length of the books. I like to watch movies, but don't often have the time to go OUT to a movie, so we will sometimes rent them. I like to play cards, and other board games when people will play with me. I enjoy messing around on message boards. I like to learn. My current interest is about Bridge. I learned the basics years ago, but recently read The Cardturner by Louis Sachar and realized how complex a game it is. I'm thinking I need to find someone to tutor me.

Who taught you to cook or made the biggest impact on your cooking style?

I learned to cook from my Mom. One of my earliest memories is standing on a stool at the stove stirring pudding. She gave me my start and taught me all the basics. From not working pastry dough and muffin batter too much to balancing sweet/salty/hot/sour in dishes, she gave me the best foundation I could ask for. She didn't use the same descriptions that you see on the TV shows, or even in the posts online. She would just DO and then show me by tasting. She taught me not to be afraid to play in the kitchen. Cooking is about love and joy and all things fun.

List 3 things we would be surprised to find in your fridge or pantry. Do they have a special use?

Hmmm. Another tough one. Lets see...

1. Canned Zebra meat. I'm surprised every time I run across it, yet I'm reluctant to throw it away. It actually IS zebra. My SIL has lived in Africa for years and she always finds something weird to bring back.

2. Giant bottle of lemon juice. I have apparently attained some fame as the "Lemon Lady" and usually use fresh lemons for everything that requires lemon juice. However, the giant bottle of Realemon is what I use for lemon marinade on chicken and for a quickie caesar salad dressing.

3. Red wine in the fridge. I like my red wine cold OK? I still contend that drinking red wine at "room temperature" fails to take into account the ambient temperature of those drafty old stone castles. It was freaking cold in there! ;)

Whoo! Those were tougher than I thought Janet!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

1. Who is your favorite author?

2. Where were you born and where did you grow up?

3. What would you name a restaurant if you ran one?

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Everymom

1. Who is your favorite author?

Holy crap, break out the easy questions! I'm not sure who I would name as my favorite author. There are lots of writers that I follow and make sure I don't miss their books, but they are scattered through genres and I've got WAY more than one. How about a short list?
Diana Gabaldon (even though I'm still irritated with how she ended her last one!)
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Kelley Armstrong
Carl Hiaasen
Louis Sachar
John Lescroart
Faye Kellerman
Robert B Parker
Linda Howard's suspense books - not her harleys
Iris Johansen
Janet Evanovich

2. Where were you born and where did you grow up?

I was born in Prince George, BC. We lived there til I was 2 and then we moved here to Edmonton. I grew up here and love it. I complain about the weather, but really, I'll put up with it for the good things about living here.

3. What would you name a restaurant if you ran one?

I've never thought about running a restaurant. I guess if I were cooking it would feature lots of local stuff and down home cooking. Fresh soups, breads, and of course baking. I think I'd call it "Always Room", as there is always room for a few more at our table. Either that or "The Hearth" where all of us go to get warm.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What is your favourite type of book to read?
Where are your favourite places to vacation?
Do you have a garden?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Everymom

What is your favourite type of book to read?

I like a good mystery or suspense book. I don't need a murder but I do like a puzzle to work through. I like sagas once in a while, but not a steady diet. I'm a bit tired of the "supernatural" genre, but I'm still reading a few. My favorites in that genre are by Kelley Armstrong. The characters are still "real" even though they are witches or werewolves etc. I've been quite impressed with her excellent characterization.

Where are your favourite places to vacation?

I'm a beach girl. I love the sun and a beautiful coastline. There are so many places in the world that I want to visit and not enough time or money to get to them all! I loved Panama and Costa Rica and the beaches in Cuba and Mexico are beyond beautiful. I would love to get back to Europe. For me, the ideal vacation balances time to just STOP and time to see and learn all about the new locale. It usually takes me a day or so to slow down enough to recognize I'm on vacation!

Do you have a garden?

Yes I do. I love the fresh veggies in the summer. We have limited space available to us though. In our backyard we grow tomatoes, peppers, raspberries and rhubarb. At my MIL's place we have a couple of rows of potatoes, carrots, beans and onions. As for beauty, we have one bed of perennials and several pots of annuals. I'm a pansy fan and usually do a couple pots of them on the front step. The back deck gets splashes of color from petunias and geraniums. Its hot as the hinges of hell back there, so I need some hardy plants that will weather well in the sun.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

If you could spend a day hanging out with any well known chef in history, who would that be and why?

Are there things you cook for your family because you're "supposed to" but don't really like?

Dream Vacation: 3 weeks, $10,000, all by yourself. What would you do?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Name a "guilty pleasure" - a food that you love but only allow yourself to have once in awhile.

What is a food you eat at home because the family likes it but you would never order in a restaurant?

Describe your perfect pizza.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Everymom

If you could spend a day hanging out with any well known chef in history, who would that be and why?

Probably either Julia Child or Madame Benoit. Those are a couple of ladies who were real down to earth women who did the job and did it with style. They were also willing to share their knowledge and did that with wit and grace.

Are there things you cook for your family because you're "supposed to" but don't really like?
Potatoes. I could live the rest of my life without ever eating another potato, but my family like them. I can tolerate them in some forms, but mashed is one of those things I will do much to avoid.

Dream Vacation: 3 weeks, $10,000, all by yourself. What would you do?

A holiday just isn't special without my sweetie by my side. He'd have to be included. (I'm going to assume that the money doubles because he is with me) We'd do a tour of Western Europe. I'd like to do about a week in the UK. Ken's family is from Ireland (some of mine too) and then up to Scotland and down through Wales and into England. Just able to hit the high spots in that amount of time though. I need to see Stonehenge and Hadrian's wall. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. Then a quick hop over to France and a nice little tour around the beaches in Normandy, see the Louvre, the Palace of Versailles, Mont St Michel, and scores of other pieces of history. A little train tour through the wine country, a stop or two in Spain to see the sights, then continue on south through Italy. I'd like to do a quick run through Venice, just to say I've seen it. Then off to the good stuff in Rome and Naples. Lots of walking tours and time to wander the streets. Got to see the Coliseum, the Forum, Vatican city, the catacombs etc. Naples is mostly about the museum where all the stuff from Pompeii and Herculaneum are kept. Its not really my favorite city. I'd love to take Ken through Pompeii itself as well. That was pretty cool. If the money has held out then we'd hop over to Greece and end the holiday there. A quick run through Athens to get our history lesson then off to Santorini to relax on beaches and to process the lovely piles of history we got to experience.

If there were more money and time the next run would be Israel and Egypt. Still on my bucket list though!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I see that my #2 question and PF's are very similar. Sorry about that. Unless you have a different answer you can skip that one.