"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight

Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Getting to Know Andy M.

1. What do you do for a living?

2. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

3. Who is your hero?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?

Barbara

Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Did you like your career? If you had to do it over again, what would you want to do?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
1. What do you do for a living?

2. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

3. Who is your hero?

1. I'm retired. I worked as a finance professional providing financial services in a corporate setting as an Accounting Manager, Controller, CFO etc.

2. No. Cooking in a restaurant would take all the fun out of cooking. I cook because I love to cook, not because I have to.

3. I'd have to say the previous generation of my family. Knowing the persecution and genocide they suffered to survive and make it to America to start a new life saddens me. Among the five sisters and brothers (mom and her siblings) my uncle was pretty extraordinary. He went to MIT, worked for a high tech firm, patented a couple if inventions and taught himself to do a wide variety of skills.

He was accomplished a a painter, taught himself to restore furniture and cane chairs, built any electrical or mechanical device he needed to perform a task.

He traveled home to Armenia and established a TV station, funding them with new TV cameras to get things going.

I could go on.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?

Barbara
1. Professor Goldhar, a management sciences professor in college. He really took an interest in me and encouraged me.

2. Travel with my honey to all the great food places in the world and gain even more weight. You know, all the places Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern visit.

3. With a smile.

4. Not sure about the number of people. I always feel pleased when a dinner party goes well. I would love to be able to teach on a small scale at the family level.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

do you like to read? what kind of books? favorite author? how many books have you read this year?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Did you like your career? If you had to do it over again, what would you want to do?
Not particularly, but I felt good about some of my accomplishments. My career was what I had an aptitude for. I was good at it.

I felt a lot of satisfaction from hiring and training good people, giving them the tools to move up and succeed at a higher level.

No that I'm retired, I enjoy serving as the Treasurer of the condo association where I live.

If I had to do it over again, I can't say. I wanted to be a cowboy and a race car driver at different points in my life. Also wanted to be a pro football player.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
do you like to read? what kind of books? favorite author? how many books have you read this year?
I have read about a gazillion books over time. At different times I was deep into science fiction, murder mysteries, espionage and historical biographies.

In the last couple of years I have gotten away from reading as much.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

What's on your Bucket List?

Do you think that you are generally an optimist or a pessimist?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
("danger" is subject to your take on the word)

What's on your Bucket List?

Do you think that you are generally an optimist or a pessimist?

You have me stumped.

1. I don't know that I've done much I would categorize as dangerous. Probably some stupid stuff when I was in college and drank a lot. There was probably a few times when I came close to dangerous and didn't even realize it. Sorry, no drama to share.

2. Refer to my response to Barb's question #2. Actually, I'm quite happy with life right now. I don't feel like I'm missing out. Granted, there are a lot of things I could be doing if I hit the lottery but, al in all life is good. I'm with a fantastic woman I love dearly. We share our children and grandchildren and I'm reasonably healthy. Better off than many.

3. Pessimist, definitely. However, I often wish I was less so.